Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Are These All Lincoln Cent Error Varieties? Help Appreciated

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United Kingdom
115 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2013  12:52 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add paul g to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
ok chaps,
I wonder if anyone could be kind enough, or inclined to give me an opinion on some of my Lincoln cents which I have been sorting through.

I have photo'd the ones which I think are an error variety, although I am not in any way an expert, and would appreciate your comments on whether they are indeed errors;

This 1st one has 'in god we trust' stamped right up on the rim:

This is a 1980 cent with the word 'states' blanked out;

This one is off-centre, and appears to have hit the 0 in 1980

Something amiss, was this circle hit when minted?

This is the reverse of the circle hit one above, with strange striations;

Very funny texture, reverse is the same

This one is totally mashed up, I think certainly in the mint after some studying-what would cause this? The rear is worse;

The reverse of above coin;

The letters stamped on the rim-rare or unique?

What seems like a gold cent? is it or can they tone this way?

This one has a double rim; normal?

Is this a die crack? the photo aint great but it runs right through the 'T' and into the building! Its a 1992 cent;

Is this a double die date? definately doubled and the 'D' looks pretty anemic!

The whole coin of above

This is a 1992 with 70's style letters at the top!

This isn;t so clear, but above every 'T' the copper is missing in a a nice neat line

Another one with half the word 'states' missing;

Are the holes on ether side of 'e-plur..) shrapnel holes? the 'FG' signature has been messed up as well;

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***

Pillar of the Community
United States
1195 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2013  01:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add argentum to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Catching my breath after all those pics, I can provide the following information:

Mid-1982 marked the year that the Mint switched from a copper to a copper plated zinc planchet. Early Zincolns, as the latter composition cents were called, had issues with the plating-core bonding.

The cents you describe as "The letters stamped on the rim-rare or unique" and "Very funny texture, reverse is the same" may be suffering from such issues.

Your other 1983 D is merely beat up enough for the zinc to show though the copper.

The circle on your one 1980 was caused after the mint by a machine that crimps the end of mechanically wrapped rolls of coins

The ones where "states" is "blanked out" could be the result of grease and debris partly filling the die.

Others can weigh in here

Bedrock of the Community
United States
25736 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2013  05:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow,had to rest my eyes after all those pics.Here's my two cents:1-normal 2-normal mushy strike 3-Mild MAD and PMD 4-counting machine damage 5- woody,alloy mix error 6-plating issue 7-PMD road rash 8-same 9-worn die 10-could be toning or brass plate 11-mild MAD 12-yes 13-plating issue 15?don't know what you mean 16-split plating 17-normal mushy strike 18-PMD
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6538 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2013  05:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Off to work with limited time to opine ...

David
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
115 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2013  12:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add paul g to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you folks for your thoughts and taking the time! So are any of these unique or special enough to catalogue separately, or not worth it and should I chuck them back in with all my other US cents?
Valued Member
United States
461 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2013  12:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KisNap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's not uncommon for "STATES" to be weak since the obverse has Lincolns bust on the other side. The metal will flow up into the obverse leaving less metal to flow into the reverse die. Since the bust portion is larger (has a larger area dug out in the obverse) the metal flows into the area of least resistance which means that the smaller dug out area of "STATES" will be filled with the remaining metal.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
25736 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2013  5:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would keep the 86 for now and have you checked the reverse of the 82 for the DDR?
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Rest in Peace
United States
3039 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2013  6:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
All normal with assorted minting anomalies
Pillar of the Community
United States
901 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2013  7:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add albertharris to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think it's best to not have too many different coins in 1 post. Most of these, except for machine damaged when put into roll, and "roadkill"; are not uncommon very minor different than normal coins. Since the 1982 "change" Lincoln cents commonly have that bubbly texture. Sometimes most or a whole roll of pennies exhibt this. Die polishing is expressed as mostly straight lines across coins surface. Grease cloging can effect strike pressure on coin surface. The overused dies, striking harder surfaces mean cracked dies more often. Not the perfect coin, but good enough for government purposes!
Valued Member
United Kingdom
115 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2013  08:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add paul g to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well thanks again for everyones' advice.

My apologies for putting all the coins in one post, I thought that was the way to do it?! I didn't want to start multiple threads
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.92 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05