Coin Community Family of Web Sites
YourCoinBox is offering a stress free way to appraise and sell your coins from the comfort of your home. Our goal is to create an ultra transparent and no pressure experience for finding out what your coins are worth and what to do with them.
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

The Palmetto State South Carolina 1788 Silver Coin

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 30,764Next Topic  

United States
7 Posts
 Posted 02/03/2013  04:57 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Luvlyme1983 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have a large silver coin that on one side says "The Palmetto State" across
the top of one side and along the bottom on the same side says "SOUTH CAROLINA" and has the date 1788 on the right edge in the middle. The other side I'm not sure what it says but I am posting pictures of both sides. I am trying to find out exactly what it is and if it may have any value. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have been collecting coins since I was a child but am very new to this!

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***

Valued Member
Canada
470 Posts
 Posted 02/03/2013  05:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1188howest to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You have a 2000 State Quarter not a coin from 1788. The Philadelphia mint struck 742,576,000 and the Denver mint struck 566,208,000 so you see it is far from scarce. It is worth .25 cents, the State Quarters are a challenge to collect from circulation but will never be worth much in any ones life time.
Valued Member
Canada
470 Posts
 Posted 02/03/2013  05:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1188howest to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
- check for errors
Pillar of the Community
United States
4053 Posts
 Posted 02/03/2013  05:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bpoc1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thats not a State Quarter.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2661 Posts
 Posted 02/03/2013  06:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tim Stroud to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Thats not a State Quarter.

It sure isn't, this is what the S.C. State Quarter looks like.

That is a medallion of some kind.
Valued Member
Canada
470 Posts
 Posted 02/03/2013  07:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1188howest to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
it's a token with a face value of .25.

pardon ... my previous witty remark.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6097 Posts
 Posted 02/03/2013  11:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As with your Washington, DC Monuments piece, what you have here is a medal not a coin (i.e., no monetary value). Also as with your other piece, if it contains any precious metal it is very likely just a thin plating of silver over a base metal vs. a solid silver medal. It is a common piece with a value is in the range of $5-$10.

The design on the reverse is the Great Seal of the State of South Carolina; it is a common design element used on many tokens and medals related to South Carolina. You can read a full description and history of the Seal on wikipedia if you are interested.

@1188howest: Neither of your responses was accurate, please be careful when posting answers to questions when you're not certain of their validity. No collector wants to be misinformed when they are looking for help on one of their coins/medals/tokens, etc.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Edited by commems
02/03/2013 12:00 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
4053 Posts
 Posted 02/03/2013  11:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bpoc1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
t's a token with a face value of .25.
In the OP states it is silver if that is true it would be more than face value of .25.
More information is needed on this.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4212 Posts
 Posted 02/03/2013  12:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fioti to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I see nothing to indicate it has ANY face value, ie; good for.
Even if silver, no face value. This does warrant a more thorough search, though. I like it.
The 2 sides are deceiving, 1 looks freshly minted, the other looks passed around abit.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4212 Posts
 Posted 02/03/2013  12:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fioti to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here ya go, goog is your friend: http://www.icollector.com/642-South...ed_i14529870
Pillar of the Community
United States
4053 Posts
 Posted 02/03/2013  1:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bpoc1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Fioti! and Commems and Tim!
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 30,764Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.26 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05