Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Commems Collection: 1925 Stone Mountain Revisited #2

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 1,267Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5937 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2013  7:19 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
In recognition of the Baltimore Ravens win last night in the Super Bowl, I thought I'd present a bit of "Commemorabilia" that I picked up at one of the Whitman Baltimore Expos last year.

Shown below is a small granite chip that came from Stone Mountain itself. More specifically, from stone removed during the carving of General Robert E. Lee's likeness on the mountain (at least allegedly!). As you'll note from the text printed on one of the side panels of the box, chips of granite such as this were given to those contributing $0.25 or more to the Stone Mountain Confederate Monumental Association to support the carving of the memorial. A rather nice gift for such a potentially small donation!

The box measures 2-1/4" in length, 1-1/2" in width and 3/4-inch in height. The granite chip in my box is approximately 9/10-inch in length, 8/10-inch in width and 3/10-inch in height. To keep the chip from rattling around inside the box, it was/is wrapped in tissue paper.

Read More: Commems Collection

On the front side of the box is an artist's rendering of the proposed memorial. The poor quality of the box's photograph doesn't allow me to show a clear enlargement, but hopefully you can see (through the pixelation) that the depiction shows the larger scale of the original proposal vs. what was ultimately carved. The text featured on the box also proved to be optimistic!

It was certainly a creative way to "dispose" of some of the stone removed from the face of Stone Mountain during its carving and was just one of the many methods used by the Association to raise money for the memorial's creation.

From my experience, it is a fairly scarce item from the classic commemorative period. One auction company claims that there are only 50 or so still surviving with their original boxes. I can't say with any certainty how accurate this estimate is, but I can say that I've rarely encountered examples as I've wandered the bourse floor of the many coin shows I've attended over the years.

I've also included my ungraded Stone Mountain half-dollar that I keep in a Capital Plastics holder that features a brief backgrounder on the coin. The coin is the first commemorative I purchased on my journey to my present collection - it grades a Choice AU.

Enjoy!

Stone Mountain Granite Chip Box - Front + Side Panel

Enlarged View of Memorial as Shown on Front of Box

Stone Mountain Granite Chip Box - Back + Side Panel

Stone Mountain Granite Chip

1925 Stone Mountain Commemorative Half-Dollar - Obverse

1925 Stone Mountain Commemorative Half-Dollar - Reverse

My original post on the Stone Mountain half-dollar can be found here: http://goccf.com/t/119791

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Edited by commems
02/04/2013 7:23 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3451 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2013  9:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinsKelly to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It was certainly a creative way to "dispose" of some of the stone removed

Kind of like Shawshank Redemption. .

This additional information on the coins is really impressive. I am going to a coin show in April and will add this of the list of accessories for my commemoratives. I have made notes from many of your other posts of things I need to watch for and this has been added to it.
Edited by CoinsKelly
02/04/2013 9:22 pm
Valued Member
United States
492 Posts
 Posted 02/05/2013  02:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TJB17 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Shown below is a small granite chip that came from Stone Mountain itself. More specifically, from stone removed during the carving of General Robert E. Lee's likeness on the mountain (at least allegedly!)

That stone chip is more likely to be real than the piece of the Berlin Wall I bought in New York City in 1990. And if the original owner got it for 25 cents, then it was a lot cheaper than my piece of the wall.
Valued Member
United States
386 Posts
 Posted 02/05/2013  09:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add blackjack to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So, Stone Mountain was your first commemorative half dollar! Thank you for sharing that.
Learn More...
United States
101057 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
7744 Posts
 Posted 02/05/2013  12:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oih82w8 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I always enjoy "...the rest of the story" articles!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7121 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2013  7:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Way behind on all CCF news with too much work and a sick Dad ... apologize as needed for the delayed reply.

This is a tremendous thread commems ... I now have another item to find at my local bousre.

David
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 1,267Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.3 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05