Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Commems Collection: 1938 Delaware "Cousin" #2

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 1,648Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4775 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2013  11:09 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Over the years that I've collected US commemoratives, I've occasionally come across badges that are linked to the coins in some fashion. Tonight I thought I'd share one linked to the 1938 Delaware Tercentenary.

As the majority of the classic US commemoratives were issued in support of a specific anniversary or event, it was common for the sponsoring organization to also be involved somehow in the corresponding celebration. Often the celebrations lasted for several days and included speeches by local/regional dignitaries, religious services, banquets, pageants, concerts, sporting events, parades, historical exhibits, etc.

As part of these celebrations, badges were often created and were worn by members of the event's organizing committees, as well as by invited VIPS and/or guests; sometimes badges were created as a souvenir item and were available for purchase by anyone attending the event.

Read More: Commems Collection

The Delaware Tercentenary was marked by a celebratory event, though it was not quite as extensive as some of the others. The primary events of Delaware's celebration took place on a single day - 27 June 1938. The day's events included the formal welcoming of the official delegations from Sweden and Finland, dedication of the monument given to the US by the people of Sweden at Fort Christina State Park in Wilmington (pictures of the monument here:http://goccf.com/t/118796 ), a service in Old Swedes Church, a luncheon, speeches, a parade and an evening reception.

Shown here is a nicely preserved hanging badge from the event. The decorative top bar of the badge features a "then and now" scene. Delaware's early Swedish settlers are seen in the foreground and a modern (circa 1938) view of Wilmington, Delaware (the present day city located at the site of the first landing) is depicted in the background.

The medal is suspended from a light blue and yellow-gold ribbon with the tercentenary dates and "Guest" printed on it. The medal's obverse depicts the early Swedish settlers disembarking from the Kalmar Nyckel (the larger of the two ships that brought the settlers from Sweden), while the simpler reverse includes commemorative inscriptions.

The hanging medal is 1.75 inches in diameter; the badge is 5.50 inches from the top of bar to the bottom of the suspended medal.

The badge is a nice supplement to my Delaware commemorative half-dollar and high-relief commemorative medals.

1938 Delaware Tercentenary Guest Badge - Full

1938 Delaware Tercentenary Guest Badge - Medal Obverse

1938 Delaware Tercentenary Guest Badge - Medal Reverse

1938 Delaware Tercentenary Half-Dollar - Obverse

1938 Delaware Tercentenary Half-Dollar - Reverse

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Edited by commems
02/22/2013 3:49 pm
Valued Member
United States
416 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2013  12:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mailman28 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
very interesting as usual, is the ship on the reverse of the coin supposed to represent the same ship on the badge?
Pillar of the Community
United States
899 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2013  06:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Doug58s to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks commems the medal is pretty cool but the coin is again amazing! The interesting thing on the medal to me - is that having the ship sailing away from the viewer almost makes the coin look oblong instead of circular.
Learn More...
United States
92108 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4775 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2013  3:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
...is the ship on the reverse of the coin supposed to represent the same ship on the badge?

Yes, the obverse of the medal and the reverse of the half-dollar both depict the Kalmar Nyckel.

Quote:
The interesting thing on the medal to me - is that having the ship sailing away from the viewer almost makes the coin look oblong instead of circular.

I think it might be mostly an optical "distortion" caused by the way the medal was resting on my scanner as it was imaged. The medal is definitely round!

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6878 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2013  6:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another exceptional read commems ... your treasure chest of commemorative items and exceptionally well written threads on them never fail to delight, inspire and educate.

Many Thanks for sharing.

David
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3451 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2013  7:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinsKelly to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Many thanks again. My eyes were drawn to the top part of the medal. Whomever designed it put alot of thought into it - it flows beautifully from top to bottom. I like how the sun is almost Art Deco then the design transitions from sky to earth to sea.
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 1,648Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.5 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05