Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Commems Collection: 1936 Albany Ephemera

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 2,350Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5937 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2013  8:02 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
When I posted my original comments about the 1936 commemorative half-dollar marking the 250th anniversary of Albany, NY receiving its charter, I did so knowing I was only telling part of the story I had intended. (Original post: http://goccf.com/t/119087)

Why? Nothing devious, of course, I simply couldn't find my example of the original mailer/holder for the coins that I had intended to include! I knew it had to be a matter of being misplaced vs. lost, but, either way, it wasn't available for me to present at the time and the "show had to go on!"

I found it earlier this week in a file folder mixed in with other miscellaneous commemorative ephemera. So, I decided to share it tonight along with an attractive medal that marked the 200th anniversary of the Albany Charter back in 1886.

Read More: Commems Collection

The holder's style is essentially the same as that used by other coin sponsors of the mid-1930s (e.g., Delaware Tercentenary). It features a five-coin cardboard holder with a paper wrap that features information about the history commemorated by the coin. I've presented all panels of the holder below - even the blank back! I've always liked these "booklet" holders, and wish more of the sponsoring committees had chosen to prepare this type of holder/mailer for their coins.

The 1886 medal features the same principals as the 1936 coin, namely Thomas Dongan, Peter Schuyler and Robert Livingston. Dongan, the Governor of the Province of New York in 1686, is seen signing the charter in the presence of Schuyler (at right), the first Mayor of Albany, and Livingston, the city's first Town Clerk. The reverse of the medal features the central elements of the city's coat-of-arms. The shield is divided into upper and lower sections, with the upper containing a depiction of a beaver felling a tree (presumably a maple tree) and the lower featuring two sheaves of wheat. The shield is surmounted by a sloop; the motto "Assiduity" is seen on a ribbon below (it means "persistence" or "diligence"). In terms of a design element, it's interesting to note that the medal's version of Albany's coat-of-arms was not adopted until 1789, more than 100 years after the granting of the charter in 1686.

The medal is 51mm in diameter and was struck in bronze, white metal and gilt; a very few silver medals were also struck. It was designed by noted medalist of the time, George Hampden Lovett; his "signature" is on the reverse of the medal below the ribbon.

1936 Albany, NY Charter 250th Anniversary Half-Dollar - Obverse

1936 Albany, NY Charter 250th Anniversary Half-Dollar - Reverse

1936 Albany, NY Charter 250th Anniversary Half-Dollar Original Mailer/Holder - Front

1936 Albany, NY Charter 250th Anniversary Half-Dollar Original Mailer/Holder - Interior

1936 Albany, NY Charter 250th Anniversary Half-Dollar Original Mailer/Holder - Back

1886 Albany, NY Charter 200th Anniversary Medal - Obverse

1886 Albany, NY Charter 200th Anniversary Medal - Reverse

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3451 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2013  12:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinsKelly to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow! That is really nice. I like the medal a lot. Thanks for putting these all together!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7121 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2013  6:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Many Thanks commems for another educational post from your museum-quality collection of commemorative coins and ephemera.

Interesting to note that the 5 coin holder has only one slot where the inserted coin was subjected to potential toning on the center of the portrait ... the remaining 4 slots could be called potential tab toning.

I am truly enjoying all the history that you are sharing with us.

Looking forward to the book someday.

David

Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1347 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2013  7:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ArrowsAndRays to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks commems! Really enjoy the information and photos!
Learn More...
United States
101057 Posts
Valued Member
United States
386 Posts
 Posted 03/02/2013  07:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add blackjack to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wonderful post. Thanks, commems. You have a superb collection. I love reading your posts.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3451 Posts
 Posted 03/02/2013  09:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinsKelly to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5937 Posts
 Posted 03/02/2013  09:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks to all for the kind words!

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 2,350Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05