Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Commems Collection: 1925 California Revisited

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 2,137Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5937 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2013  8:47 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
In my previous post on the 1925 California Diamond Jubilee half-dollar, I featured a few pages from the book published by the Jubilee Committee in 1927; the pages presented the coin and provided a nice history of it. (Read it here: http://goccf.com/t/117524) Tonight, I present a publication that was available during the Jubilee.

Many of the classic US commemoratives were coined in conjunction with some sort of celebratory event/exposition - World's Columbian Exposition, Lewis and Clark Exposition, Panama-Pacific International Exposition, etc. Following in line, the 1925 California half-dollar was issued as a souvenir piece to commemorate the state's Diamond Jubilee; it was celebrated in San Francisco, CA from September 5th through the 12th.

Read More: Commems Collection

It was usual for these events to have an Official Program booklet available for purchase by visitors. In some of these booklets, a discussion and/or picture(s) of the event's commemorative coin was presented. The Program for the Diamond Jubilee did a very thorough job of outlining the events that were to take place each day and of listing the various Committee members that worked to make the Jubilee possible, but it was a bit light on its presentation of the coin, including just a single descriptive paragraph and no picture.

The coin was designed by Jo Mora. A picture of Mora was included alongside the mention of the coin. A picture of the Chairman of the Souvenir Coin Committee - George Filmer - was also featured. The Program included pictures of the Chairs of seemingly all of the various Committees! These pages along with the Program's cover are shown below.

The Program mentions that 300,000 coins were authorized. The San Francisco Mint struck 150,000 in time for the Jubilee, but sales were lower than anticipated and 63,606 of these pieces were eventually returned to the Mint for melting. The coins sold for $1.00 each.

1925 California Diamond Jubilee Half-Dollar - Obverse

1925 California Diamond Jubilee Half-Dollar " Reverse

California Diamond Jubilee Official Program - Cover

California Diamond Jubilee Official Program - Coin Page

California Diamond Jubilee Official Program - Coin Committee Chairman Page

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Pillar of the Community
United States
899 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2013  8:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Doug58s to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I love the Obverse of that coin! Now had they put the Bay Bridge on the reverse! (ok I know details details) Yet another very cool informational post commems!
Learn More...
United States
101057 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
3451 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2013  12:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinsKelly to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Doug58s, might I direct you to https://www.coincommunity.com/forum...IC_ID=115776

Wonderful post commems. The artwork on the brochure cover is beautiful. Do the modern commeratives get a brochure of their own?
Pillar of the Community
United States
3451 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2013  7:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinsKelly to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't mean to be a nag but commems, are do you know if they are publishing anything other than email for modern commemoratives?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7121 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2013  8:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Excellent brochure comemms ... Thanks for sharing.

Quote:
do you know if they are publishing anything other than email for modern commemoratives?

Yes ... I receive printed sales material ... throw it all away ... none of it reaches the glory of commems material from times past.

David

Edited for spllhgnfing
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Edited by nickelsearcher
03/05/2013 8:18 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5937 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2013  12:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@CoinsKelly: Sorry for the delay in responding, I'm battling a computer issue at the moment.

As nickelsearcher indicated, the US Mint does still send out promotional pieces for each issue via postal mail. They don't have the same attraction as the early pieces, but I think part of that is due to the fact that they all come from the Mint vs. individual sponsors. The current pieces just don't have the same personality.

That said, there is still modern ephemera to collect. For example, a souvenir program from the 1996 Atlanta Olympics is a nice supplement to the coins.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Edited by commems
03/06/2013 12:10 am
Valued Member
United States
386 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2013  07:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add blackjack to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wonderful, commems. You make me long for the series.
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 2,137Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05