Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Commems Collection: 1936 Rhode Island Tercentenary And Horace Grant

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 2,465Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7552 Posts
 Posted 04/04/2013  6:57 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Success doesn't just happen. It's planned for. - Anonymous

The secret of success in life is for a man to be ready for his opportunity when it comes. - Benjamin Disraeli

I think it is safe to say that Horace M. Grant, the 1930s coin dealer from Providence, Rhode Island was a planner who was definitely ready when his opportunity came. But first, a bit of background...

The 1936 Rhode Island half-dollar was sponsored by the Rhode Island and Providence Plantations Tercentenary Committee, Inc. (I've previously posted some background on the coin here: http://goccf.com/t/117071 ). The Committee arranged with the Rhode Island Hospital National Bank for it to be the primary distributor of the coins within Rhode Island; the Hospital National Bank stored the coins when delivered from the Mint and distributed them among 30 banks in the state for over-the-counter sales that began on 5 March 1936.

The Committee also allocated approximately 7,000 of the 50,000 coins struck to Horace Grant who was to be responsible for handling coin orders that had come in from collectors across the country. It quickly became clear to the coin collecting community, however, that Grant was able to secure more than his original allocation.

The "fun" began the day the coins were first offered for sale. It was almost immediately announced that due to overwhelming demand for the coins at the state's banks, the coins had sold out in a matter of hours. It was pure fabrication, but it certainly whipped the collecting community into a frenzy as the story broke.

An advertisement from Grant's Hobby Shop that appeared in The Numismatist in April 1936 had the headline "Sold Out in Six Hours!" In the ad, you'll note that the "virtuous" Grant worked hard to fill all of the orders he received, even though it meant he allegedly had to purchase additional coins from the secondary market.

The original selling price of the coins was $1.00 over-the-counter and $1.50 via the mail, regardless of which Mint struck it. You'll note, however, the sizeable price increase for the coins in Grant's advertisement just days after their release.

It soon became clear to collectors and other dealers that the distribution of the coins was not being handled in a fair and honest way. Many original orders were either reduced or cancelled, though Grant continued to advertise having a supply of the coins for months after their release - and always at a price notably higher than issue price.

But I submit (as have others since the time) that the immediate "sell-out" and other distribution issues were planned well in advance by Grant and his connections in the sponsoring Committee, namely Arthur L. Philbrick, the Committee's Treasurer.

As evidence of this, I submit the following promo piece that Grant had made up and distributed in January 1936. While the piece can be viewed as an innocent advertisement for the coins, sentences such as "The writer predicts that the entire issue will be immediately sold." tend to jump out at the reader. As does his touting of the financial returns of other commemorative coins though he states "I do not profess to be an investment broker, and I do not want to recommend to our customers that they commercialize on stamps and coins..."

I recognize that I have the benefit of 20-20 hindsight, but as the quotes that began this post suggest - success takes planning and opportunity. I believe Grant was planning for his personal success with the opportunity provided by Rhode Island half-dollars long before the first coin was made available to the public.

Enjoy!

1936 Rhode Island Commemorative Half-Dollar - Obverse

1936 Rhode Island Commemorative Half-Dollar - Reverse

1936 Grant's Hobby Shop Promotional Flyer - Cover

1936 Grant's Hobby Shop Promotional Flyer - Inside Left Panel

1936 Grant's Hobby Shop Promotional Flyer - Inside Right Panel

1936 Grant's Hobby Shop Promotional Flyer - Back

1936 Grant's Hobby Shop Advertisement (The Numismatist, April 1936)

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Pillar of the Community
United States
899 Posts
 Posted 04/04/2013  7:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Doug58s to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice - I have read the politics of the early commems was shady at best - and this one obviously fills that bill. Nice article and excellent coin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1211 Posts
 Posted 04/04/2013  8:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hondo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So so so so cool.

Commems, I have a feeling I could lock myself in your coin room and stay there for days just reading and looking at all your stuff.

Unbelievable and we all thank you for sharing.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
408 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2013  5:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tampabaygrampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very interesting. Smart businessman.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5080 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2013  9:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jack jeckel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting story.

This guy sounds an awful lot like the hype men on the shopping networks on TV selling their wares be it "first day of release and limited to only 1000 sets" of silver Eagles which really means only 1000 sets in a special holder only made for whatever shopping network and so on or this limited watch should be selling for $3K but for our viewers we have secured the first 100 released at the special price of $2499 and the same scam for every product they offer.
Learn More...
United States
112450 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7552 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2013  8:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@HONDO: You'll have to come over - I'll put you to work helping me re-organize it all!

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7742 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2013  8:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Too many hours at work commems prevent me from offering a detailed reply whereby I could obviously admire and comment on your insightful knowledge shared so readily with all of us.

Suffice to say that I read the thread ... and remain in awe and deep respect of your collection, knowledge and exceptional ability to communicate both.

If you do not mind ... I'll be joining HONDO as we re-organize you collection.

David
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.jk-dk.art
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Pillar of the Community
1751 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2013  02:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add FadeToBlack to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting... was never a fan of the design though.
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 2,465Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.31 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: