Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1832 Large Cent?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 902Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
1137 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2013  5:43 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add chzman to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Having a hard time figuring out the date on this coin. I found it while metal detecting and it is the oldest coin I have found to date. Thank you for looking!

Bedrock of the Community
United States
20072 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2013  7:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like an 1832.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1137 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2013  7:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chzman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree, after looking at it so long, was not 100%, thanks!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2073 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2013  8:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add OldSkoolMadSkilz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like Newcomb 2
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16515 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2013  10:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yep 32 N-2. An R-3 coin.
Gary Schmidt
Pillar of the Community
United States
1137 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2013  10:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chzman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am sorry folks but I do not have a large cent collection and am confused by the terminology N-2 and R-3. I looked it up on google but for clarification would the N-2 be the design of the coin and R-3 the rare grade?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16515 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2013  10:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes N-2 stands for Newcomb-2 the designation of the die variety. The numbering system is named after Howard Rounds Newcomb and comes from his book on the die varieties of US Cents 1816 - 1857 published in 1944. (There have been other books published since then but they still use the Newcomb numbers. Why they don't use Andrews numbers I don't know because much of Newcomb's work is from the Andrews book of 1883.)

R-3 is from the Sheldon Rarity Scale (Which is actually from an even earlier scale) that rates coins from R-8 1 - 3 known down to R-1 over 2000 estimated to exist. R-3 would mean 201 - 600 estimated to exist. As a general rule most large cents do not start bringing a premium over type coin money unless they are R-5 (31 - 75 known) or higher. Some popular varieties will bring a premium even if they are lower in rarity.
Gary Schmidt
Pillar of the Community
United States
1137 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2013  10:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chzman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great info, thank you Conder!
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 902Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.53 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05