Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1832 Large Cent?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
1137 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2013  5:43 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add chzman to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Having a hard time figuring out the date on this coin. I found it while metal detecting and it is the oldest coin I have found to date. Thank you for looking!

Bedrock of the Community
United States
17850 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2013  7:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like an 1832.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1137 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2013  7:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chzman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree, after looking at it so long, was not 100%, thanks!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2073 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2013  8:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add OldSkoolMadSkilz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like Newcomb 2
Bedrock of the Community
United States
15838 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2013  10:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yep 32 N-2. An R-3 coin.
Gary Schmidt
Pillar of the Community
United States
1137 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2013  10:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chzman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am sorry folks but I do not have a large cent collection and am confused by the terminology N-2 and R-3. I looked it up on google but for clarification would the N-2 be the design of the coin and R-3 the rare grade?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
15838 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2013  10:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes N-2 stands for Newcomb-2 the designation of the die variety. The numbering system is named after Howard Rounds Newcomb and comes from his book on the die varieties of US Cents 1816 - 1857 published in 1944. (There have been other books published since then but they still use the Newcomb numbers. Why they don't use Andrews numbers I don't know because much of Newcomb's work is from the Andrews book of 1883.)

R-3 is from the Sheldon Rarity Scale (Which is actually from an even earlier scale) that rates coins from R-8 1 - 3 known down to R-1 over 2000 estimated to exist. R-3 would mean 201 - 600 estimated to exist. As a general rule most large cents do not start bringing a premium over type coin money unless they are R-5 (31 - 75 known) or higher. Some popular varieties will bring a premium even if they are lower in rarity.
Gary Schmidt
Pillar of the Community
United States
1137 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2013  10:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chzman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great info, thank you Conder!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.11 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05