Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

How Far Back Can We Go? Second Edition! - Ended At 1492 Waiting On 1491 -

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 3,989 / Views: 353,092Next Topic
Page: of 266
Learn More...
United States
95662 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2013  11:42 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
The original how far back can we go? thread has hit a wall with 1498.

It was suggested we start over so newer members (and those who overlooked the first thread) can watch it develop. I like that idea, so here goes...

We will start with any coin from 2013. Anyone can post a single 2013 coin until someone posts a 2012. Once we move to the next year, there is no going back, no catching up like is allowed in Moe's "Days Of" threads.

Edit to add: Starting 10/31/2013 we will do one year per day minimum. So 10/31 can change to 2008, 11/1 can change to 2007, etc. The cutoff will occur at Midnight Forum Time (US Eastern Time)

Coins should be dated, preferably with common era dating, but it is acceptable if the date can be converted from another calendar. It is also acceptable if the date can be determined to the exact year from other criteria; however, how it was determined needs to be explained (links are okay).

A summary of the rules...
  • 1. You must own the coin.

• 2. You must post your own photo of the coin.

• 3. It can be from any country.

• 4. The date needs to be validated as described above.

• 5. We must go in order as described above (no going back, no jumping ahead).

• 6. One Year Per Day! This allows for more participation.

• 7. One coin per person per year, unless part of a set. That is, one person should not create multiple posts for each year.

I believe we can handle controversies and questions as they occur.

Let the fun begin!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2543 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2013  12:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add denco7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I know that I am braking the multi coin rule right out of the gate, but the image is from the first 2013's contest earlier this year

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1618 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2013  12:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mysilveryears to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
ooo-kay . . . here's squawkin' at ya!

2012 COLOMBIA 200 PESOS:

Pillar of the Community
United States
4795 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2013  12:19 pm  Show Profile   Check barryg's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add barryg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
2011:

My Coin & Currency Collection
(Dansco 7070 and 8100 albums, Proof Type Set, U.S. Currency Type Set & Foreign Bullion Collection)
Valued Member
Sweden
345 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2013  12:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ngdawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
2010, South Georgia and South Sandwich Islands

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5215 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2013  12:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
2010 Commemorative from Canada

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
548 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2013  1:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Demarco Bishopp to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
2010 Britannia:

I'd like to apologise for the abysmal photo and for any future bad photos. I lack both lighting and a decent camera.
Edited by Demarco Bishopp
10/30/2013 1:24 pm
Learn More...
United States
95662 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2013  3:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I know that I am braking the multi coin rule right out of the gate, but the image is from the first 2013's contest earlier this year
You fit it in one photo in one post, which was the ultimate goal.

What I did not want to see was a post with ten photos or ten successive posts from the same person. It sort of messes with the flow.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2543 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2013  3:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add denco7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, zipping along fast, thought that we would leave a day or two between dates so everyone could show off their coins for that year ?
Pillar of the Community
United States
3345 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2013  3:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rachums107 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
2009 Beauuuutiful Maple Leaf! .9999 Silver! Drool in awe!

Learn More...
United States
95662 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2013  3:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Wow, zipping along fast, thought that we would leave a day or two between dates so everyone could show off their coins for that year ?
I did not think of that, but the previous thread moved the same way. It is another thing that is different from Moe's "Days Of" threads.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
8080 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2013  4:25 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
2009 Britsh two pence coin
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
548 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2013  4:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Demarco Bishopp to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just a friendly request for anyone thinking of posting: If you only see one coin posted for a given date and you've got a picture ready for the next date then please hold back for at least a few hours to give other people a chance to post.

I know I'll be a bit upset if I miss out on the chance to post my oldest coin (1758) because someone has already gone ahead and posted 1757.
Learn More...
United States
95662 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2013  5:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If you only see one coin posted for a given date and you've got a picture ready for the next date then please hold back for at least a few hours to give other people a chance to post.
Sounds like a good idea.

I want to revisit Denco's post and my related comment...

What if we add a one year per day rule? That is, starting now, we only post 2009 coins until after midnight (forum time) when someone can post the first 2008. This implies that people can still post a 2009 tomorrow, up until the first 2008 shows up.

Thoughts?

It will give a lot more people the opportunity to contribute.

I was not lying when I said that I believe we can handle controversies and questions as they occur.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8901 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2013  7:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Moe145 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
What if we add a one year per day rule?

Personally, I like the One Day = One Year.

But, then of course, I'm a bit biased that way...

(Of course, later, it may take more than one day to get a year posted. But we can handle that when we get there!!)

And to go 500 years back (like last time), you're looking at 500+ Days...

Thanks for resurrecting this thread. It's a GREAT one!!
Learn More...
United States
14463 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2013  7:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Fuzzy317 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
2009 Australian Kookaburras - Koalas

2009 Lincoln Bicentennial - P

Page: of 266 Previous TopicReplies: 3,989 / Views: 353,092Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 12.18 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05