Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Help With 1821 Crown Counter Stamped Mb

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 4,780Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
462 Posts
 Posted 12/31/2013  3:59 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add plonker to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This one has obviously lot of wear (weigh 27.29g) but fits my budget ($50)as well as has an interesting punch mark of MB. I could not find much about this counter stamp or punch mark searching online. Any idea what this counter stamp is used for and grade/value ? Thanks,

Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
7297 Posts
 Posted 01/02/2014  03:39 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's very interesting. I have your coin's twin brother!

Left: 1820 crown (George III) with counterstamp
Right: 1821 crown (George IV) with counterstamp

For ages I've just considered these as PMD - it would be nice to know their origins!
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1856 Posts
 Posted 01/02/2014  07:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pertinax to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd like to declare my interest, too.

I had a very worn 1816 2/6 stamped MB and a VG 1818 1/- stamped LP (or possibly IP) and I have a crown stamped GR in the same style.

The 2/6 and 1/- were given to a girl-friend many years ago to be made into jewellery.

I think I still have the crown but I don't know where it is.
Life Fellow, Royal Numismatic Society

My wants list: http://goccf.com/t/283145
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
2409 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2014  06:23 am  Show Profile   Check alganbagerap's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add alganbagerap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MB must have been quite prolific. I wonder if he was also the artist on this coin, or are we looking for another party? This carving seems to have been done years later, when the coin was quite worn.

Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
2409 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2014  08:15 am  Show Profile   Check alganbagerap's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add alganbagerap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Two things have just struck me. Are there any threepennies out there, and did MB try his hand at copper?
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
4208 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2014  6:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ben to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Curious...another Crown on eBay has this countermark. Someone did this to a LOT of coins. Could this have been a single guy with a stamp? My father's initials are MB. Might look out for a cheap one, nice curio.

Interesting that it shows up on an 1821 and 1829. COuld they have been doing this to all their change for 8 years, makingit so common?

Theories for the MB:
1. Initials
2. Test Mark, showing the coin has passed
3. Organisation, I would suggest the B to stand for 'Bank'
4. Closed circulation - these coins being used as tender within a certain group, this being an identifying mark for legal tender coins for this group, stopping the coins being spent elsewhere and stopping external coins entering the pool (such as a workhouse).
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
2409 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2016  7:32 pm  Show Profile   Check alganbagerap's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add alganbagerap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've not thought about this coin for a long while, but tonight it was part of a tray I was reviewing. What struck me tonight was that although my coin looks to be a shilling, it is in fact a sixpence that has been carved with a shilling reverse. Curioser and curioser.
United Kingdom
1 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2018  2:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pearc98 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Shame I am almost 5 years late to the party :D

Sorting through very large collection of coins passed down to me and this 'MB' has stamped an 1826 shilling of mine!!

https://ibb.co/nfd657

*** Edited by Staff to add images to post. ***
Learn More...
United States
88845 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
7297 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2018  6:18 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I notice that my original photo disappeared in the Photobucket inferno, so I'm re-posting it!

Learn More...
United States
88845 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2018  08:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I notice that my original photo disappeared in the Photobucket inferno, so I'm re-posting it!
I edited your earlier reply to include it.

Hopefully alganbagerap will come make this topic whole again.
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 4,780Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.67 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05