Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

My Fun Day

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 4,218Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
373 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2014  10:37 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add ProfLiz to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
As part of my current travels, I was able to carve out a day (Thursday) to go to the FUN show. It was only my second show (the first was FUN last year, but on Sunday - bad idea - the hall was almost empty). I have to say, this time it sure lived up to its name!

I had two errands I really wanted to accomplish, and both got done easily: I brought some slabbed coins to sell, and was able to work with a dealer I trust, which saved me the hassle of eBay. I also dropped off my 5 NGC member submissions for the year, which saved me postage.

Then on to the show!

It is a massive show, and one day was not nearly enough to see everything I wanted to. I would have loved to come back and browse more of the things I *don't* collect, like some of the awesome world coins and interesting currency. As it was, I spent 6 solid hours on the floor and got to ogle some amazing coins. The bourse seemed to be bustling; I often had to wait to talk to a dealer.

I had a great time putting faces to names I've only known via the internet, and enjoyed some pleasant discussions. The shear volume of coins was astounding, and I was fascinated by some "niche" collecting themes. I stopped by the CCF table and was truly impressed by everyone's generosity for the kids. I'll join you next year!

At the end of the day, I only bought two coins - one for each collection - but they are special ones that I likely would not have purchased without the chance to see them in person and do just a bit of haggling.

I had such a great time that I want to do it again soon, so I'm thinking of traveling to the Baltimore show in March!
Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
20820 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2014  10:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It was nice to see you!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1436 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2014  3:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dave H to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
ProfLiz,

I went on Thursday, and was, like you, impressed by the size & volume of people there. They said that this year is the biggest show in 59 yrs. There are 620 dealers.

I too stopped by and visited w/ Bobby, and a few of the guys, and Sue, too. This site is just awesome... from the people to the sheer knowledge of its' members.

I collect Civil War tokens almost exclusively now, and spent quite a bit of time at Steve Hayden's table, and also Paul Cunninghams, and several other dealers who had CWTs. I picked up two absolutely beautifully toned CWTs to add to my collection. I also picked up an MS-64 1860 brass ML Marshall merchant token that is highly PL, for an awesome price . I was stoked to say the least, and am already looking forward to next year's show!
Pillar of the Community
United States
4048 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2014  3:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bpoc1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
At the end of the day, I only bought two coins - one for each collection

Come on! It is show and tell time ProfLiz.
Valued Member
United States
373 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2014  8:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ProfLiz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You don't need to ask twice!

Upgrading an XF40 in my AU/CAC type set: (photos don't show the very nice luster under a soft gray "skin"):

And vastly upgrading a VG10 in my Half Cent by date collection: (I love the TAL undertype!)

Pillar of the Community
United States
4048 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2014  05:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bpoc1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You sure know how to pick them.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
5425 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2014  08:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mcshilling to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice coins. :)
Pillar of the Community
United States
7334 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2014  04:36 am  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Super coins Liz! Did you get to see any of the Mervis Large cents or hit the EAC meeting?
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Valued Member
United States
373 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2014  10:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ProfLiz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks! One unfortunate side effect of my very short time at FUN was that I didn't get to do any of the "extra" things, like the EAC meeting. Next time, I will just have to make a weekend of it!
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 4,218Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.55 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05