Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

How Often To You See Old Style FRN?

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
2408 Posts
 Posted 09/09/2019  02:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Generally, when I hear collectors say they keep all small head circulated notes, I assume their collection is compromised mostly of circulated notes. Nothing wrong with that. I compare it to coin collectors filling albums. Once a collector crosses that line from a casual/circulation collector to a more serious collector, all bets are off. I've always kept circulated $1 replacement notes. Got a huge stash.

Valued Member
United States
433 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2019  3:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coincollector123 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I work at a bank in Cincinnati and I always set these aside for customers. At one point I had almost $1,000 in small face bills. Nothing too special but some people ask for them and they are simple enough to separate. About once a year I will find a small note bill from the 30's. By far the most commons would be the $20s and $100s but the least common is the $5. I also include BARR dollars in this as well. I get about 5 or 6 a year when counting money.
Pillar of the Community
656 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2019  3:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ckrakowski to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I would rather save up extra cash and buy one note of real interest and appreciation potential than save a bunch of old notes that will unlikely ever be worth more than face.

Case in point. Five years ago, I bought this nice raw 1923 horseblanket from a major eBay dealer as Gem 65, original paper, from an original pack for $87. It is certainly all of this - the paper wave is clear through the holder. I could sell it on eBay today (raw with full return) for no less than $130. Is this not a better use of your old notes than saving them?

I assume this is directed at me for what I posted.

Unlike what you have shown I do not go after crisp uncirculated bills. I am perfectly happy with circulated bills as long as they do not look like they are going to fall apart if I hold them. Are there bills I have on my list I want in better condition certainly there are. But for most of my bills I can have a circulated example and be okay with it. The way I see it is that ugly bills need love too.

And since I do not see either small headed bills or older 1s and 2s but a few times a year I can afford to save them all.
Edited by ckrakowski
09/14/2019 3:43 pm
Pillar of the Community
656 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2019  3:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ckrakowski to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Generally, when I hear collectors say they keep all small head circulated notes, I assume their collection is compromised mostly of circulated notes. Nothing wrong with that. I compare it to coin collectors filling albums. Once a collector crosses that line from a casual/circulation collector to a more serious collector, all bets are off. I've always kept circulated $1 replacement notes. Got a huge stash.

While I save star notes as well I only save them if the have a run of less than 1 million. Most people will not save any unless they have a run of less than 640,000 or 360,000 or something like that.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.48 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05