Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Hey Guy New To The Wonderful Word Of Coins & Need Help

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 1,378Next Topic  
United States
14 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2014  10:28 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Kroseph33 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hey guys so I just started to find the awesome world of coin collecting and people on here are so helpful I just wanted to ask for some suggestions . I love Morgan dollars and I was able to snag this coin off a auction website for $59 and it's a Carson city mint morgan and I know they can be valuable so I was wondering if I should send this one to get graded. I attached some pics . Any help is awesome thanks guys .

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***

Pillar of the Community
United States
1804 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2014  06:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Domain555 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Great CC Morgan
Pillar of the Community
United States
603 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2014  07:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bud250r to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

All CC coins are cool and collectable in my opinion. But I don't think I would send that one in.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3443 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2014  07:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BStrauss3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Assuming the grade is accurate - something we'll need to verify - it's worth *around* $90. If it's a G4 (lower grade), maybe 83. Doesn't mean a dealer will PAY you that for it, s/he has to make a living so they might pay you half or 60%...

http://www.numismedia.com/fmv/price...ricesp.shtml

As for the grade, if that's a scratch from the N in UNUM to the back of her head, that will affect grade (it's always hard to tell from photos, could just be a little wrinkle in the plastic of the 2x2.

This - http://www.PCGS.com/photograde/#/Morgan/Grades - will give you examples of the grades (slide over left until it shows the G4, G6 and VG8... the photos can be enlarged and zoomed.

Then there is the world of VAMs (named for the two guys who setup the numbering scheme). VAMs are the small little details that tell the knowledgeable which specific pair of dies were used to stamp out your coin. Some are common, some are very rare. And some of the features are overt enough that people can tell even into the G grades like your new friend. You can try here: http://www.vamworld.com/, but that will really take you down the rabbit hole (the differences between collector, numismatist and plain old coin-nut can be pretty small).

So, no, I probably wouldn't pay $20 to have her slabbed, unless somebody tags it as a rare VAM. I would just sit back and enjoy a nice coin.
-----Burton
46 year / Life ANA member (joined 12/1/1973)
Life member: Numismatics International, CONECA
Member: TNA, FtWCC, NETCC
Owned by four cats and a wife of 35 years (joined 1983)
Pillar of the Community
United States
1200 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2014  07:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Fat Freddy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
TO CCF!
When considering whether to get a coin graded, the question and the method to determine the answer are simple:
1---What's the present resale value (using Greysheet) of the coin?
2---What's the cost of shipping to/from the TPG service?
3---What should be the resale value of the coin if it comes back graded as per your hopes?
4---What might be the resale value of the coin if it comes back graded lower than you had hoped?
5---Does the difference between present resale value and likely graded resale value justify the expense of grading?

Good luck with it.
Learn More...
United States
23522 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2014  11:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nicely bought at that price.

I don't know if it gets a "righteous" grade, though - that gouge on the obverse and what look like brushing marks probably put it in a "Details" slab. I don't believe it's worth your expense to get it slabbed. It's not the coin whose value will increase enough in a slab to justify the cost.

What it is, though, is what we call a "Conditional Rarity." A significant percentage of the total Carson City Morgan issue ended up in Treasury vaults, undistributed, for almost a hundred years. These were then distributed in the 1970's as the "GSA Morgans." Of the total mintage of 1,204,000 1883-CC Morgans, 755,000 became GSA coins in Uncirculated condition. This is why 1883 is a fairly cheap year for Mint State Carson City coins. The flipside is, they're not so common in circulated condition.

This is not a real value-adder for your coin - with Mint State examples so plentiful, that's what collectors want - but it's likely that there are more examples of this coin in MS-64 than in the grade of yours. Kinda fun to think about.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2543 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2014  11:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add denco7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice CC coin, nice pick up. Like Ddave says, it is a conditional rarity. Put it into a Dansco album and tell everyone about the tens of thousands of coins that are in MS condition, but only a few thousand that have honest wear and an Old west ; Turn of the Century history to tell, like yours does.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3699 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2014  3:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ExoGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the CCF. Enjoy the ride ...

IMHO, this CC $1, is not worth the cost of slabbing; economically speaking, that is.

Lots of good advice posted on this so far, and I much appreciate Denco's take.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8901 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2014  4:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Moe145 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF!!

Man, you started out your coin collection well! A CC Morgan right away?!! Way to go!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19580 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2014  5:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Acquire an Album for those and start a collection. No need to start sending things in for grading just now. Best to start collecting.
just carl
United States
14 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2014  9:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kroseph33 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lemme ask you guys this . If anacs is having a sale and I can get this coin graded for $10 is it worth it to get it graded?
Valued Member
United States
337 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2014  03:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Avshater22 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice Carson city Morgan. I've been thinking about getting a CC in the near future.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8114 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2014  10:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinCollector2012 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have been collecting for a year in a half and I don't have a CC Morgan. Great price o it too. IMO, put it in a dansco album or an airtite.

also to CCF!
Sets in progress... Washington quarters, 7070 Type Set, WLH Short Set
View my collection here! http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10518
ANA: 3183215
Pillar of the Community
United States
3699 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2014  11:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ExoGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If anacs is having a sale and I can get this coin graded for $10 is it worth it to get it graded?

IMHO, I wouldn't even pay $5 to ANACS or any other grading service to slab this coin. In this low a grade, it is what it is. No need, methinks, to get another opinion, and a slab won't likely enhance the value. Then too, if the coin were to come back in a body bag, you'll be cryin' the blues. Enjoy the coin ... the history and pride of ownership, which needs no slab to enhance.

If you don't plan to put it in an album, and you want a nice plastic holder for it, you can get one at a coin shop for under $5.

P.S. - Relatively few collectors ever assemble a complete Morgan dollar set nowadays, as it's such a costly undertaking. This CC dollar, is a fine start toward a five piece "mini mint set" that's quite affordable. Add to it a 1921-D Morgan and three more Morgans from the Philadelphia, San Francisco and New Orleans mints! That'll make an interesting study and showpiece.
Edited by ExoGuy
02/28/2014 11:16 am
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 1,378Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.81 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05