Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Book Review: Provenance Gallery Of The Year 1794

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 1,548Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
7415 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2014  3:02 pm Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Provenance Gallery of the year 1794 United States Large Cents
by Jon Alan Boka

ISBN# 0-9764838-0-7

This book is hardbound with a glossy color cover and no dust jacket. It has 139 pages, including 63 of color plates, and a well written introduction by John W. Adams. My copy is also signed by the author, always a bonus in my eyes!

This book is an overview of the formation of the United States monetary system and the Philadelphia Mint as well as the conditions surrounding the production of what many collectors consider the ultimate numismatic subject: The fifty-eight collectible varieties of the Large Cents of 1794.

Also a brief history of large cent collecting and their collectors. Descriptions of all collectible obverse & reverse designs as well as colorful photographic plates of each coin featured in the "Provenance Exhibit" at the 2004 EAC convention in San Diego.

Chapter One:
Covers the formation of the United States Mint. A neat story of possibly the only known written account of a visitor to the Mint in 1812 follows, the much information of
Mint production techniques and troubles. Yellow fever ravages Philadelphia and Robert Scot is hired on by the US Mint is how the first section finishes off.

Chapter Two:
Takes the reader on a journey through time to discover how Large cent collecting began, it then covers some of the earliest writings on collecting large cents with Dr. Maris' 1869 publication, and other literature on 1794 large cents. Chapter two ends with a bibliography of people of note in 1794 large cent collecting.

Chapter Three:
This chapter covers the various descriptions of each of the 1794 large cent obverse styles.

Chapter Four:
Here you will find the photographic plates of each known "collectible" varieties of 1794 large cents (Sheldon 17a through Sheldon 72) there are 11 non-collectible varieties which are omitted from this section. The photographic plates are from the 1794 Provenance exhibit coins displayed at the San Diego Early American Copper convention in 2004. This took many of the finest known 1794 large cents from 16 different collectors to complete, not an easy task at all! The chapter finishes off with a pictorial of the designs of all the early large cents from 1793 onwards.

This is a small book, quite specialized, but easily readable and the provenance coins shown in high quality photographs make it a must have for collectors of the 1794 large cents as an inexpensive aid in attributing them

The author Jon Boka maintains a website at http://www.1794largecents.com
Here you can order his fine book for only $25.00
His website also maintains the current list of biographies along with other information relating to the collecting and study of 1794 Large Cents, please stop by for a visit.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Edited by westcoin
02/25/2014 6:01 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
4048 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2014  4:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bpoc1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Geez Westcoin, I'm still trying to digest your last article about Morgans CC. Now large cents!
Pillar of the Community
United States
7415 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2014  4:52 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is a lot more to the Rusty Goe Mint on Carson Street book than just Morgans, he covers all Carson City coinage, dimes, Twenty Cent coins, seated and Trade dollars, gold, etc.

I admit I had a head start on this review, as I started it last month, just needed to touch it up and contact the author - he made a few minor suggestions to my review, which I have updated.

Glad your enjoying reading my reviews, expect a lot more of them, I have so many new books I've purchased and read over the past couple of months, in fact I ordered 3 more in between my two last review posts. Most of the new purchases are EAC books or specialized reference books with a few general knowledge books thrown in for good measure.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

Learn More...
United States
92481 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2014  6:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Reading its title, I have no interest in this book.

Reading your review, I want one!

I think you found another calling.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7415 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2014  9:46 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hey Jbuck spend a bit of time on Mr. Boka's website, the book isn't much and the site will give you some idea of his interest level of 1794 large cents! I'm sure he'd be pleased if you ordered a copy, let him know you found him from the CCF review also! It is my hope that some of the authors make sales through or directly because of my reviews.

What do I get out of it? Satisfaction and the hope they will keep writing more books to fill my shelves!

Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 1,548Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.52 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05