Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Commems Collection: What If? 1928 Joseph Gurney Cannon Half-Dollar

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 1,213Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5937 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2014  8:15 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
One of the things I've always enjoyed about collecting commemorative coins and medals is that they almost always spark in me a desire to learn more about the subject being celebrated. The subject of this post is one such spark...

When I came across a reference to a proposed half-dollar intended to honor Joseph Gurney Cannon, I was at a loss. I didn't recall ever hearing mention of the man or his accomplishments, and was thus intrigued by the story of what it was about him that prompted a proposal for a US coin in his honor. Here's a very brief overview of his life.

Joseph Gurney Cannon was born in Guilford County, North Carolina but moved as a young child with his family to Indiana. He studied law at the Cincinnati Law School and passed the bar in 1858. He briefly practiced law in Indiana before moving to Illinois in 1859. He served as the State's attorney for more than seven years in Illinois, and then was elected to the US House of Representatives in 1873 as a Republican.

Cannon served 23 non-consecutive terms in the House, with his last being as a member of the 67th Congress which adjourned in March 1923. Overall, he was a US Representative for more than 40 years. During that time, he served as the Speaker of the House for more than seven years between November 1903 and March 1911.

He is remembered for being a very influential politician and Republican party leader, along with being one of the strongest, most controlling Speakers to ever hold the position. He retired from public service after the 76th Congress in 1923 and died just three years later in Danville, IL in 1926.

The bill for a coin in his honor called for up to 2 million silver 50-cent pieces to be struck "at the mints of the United States" with the Uncle Joe Cannon Memorial Association of Danville, IL serving as the sponsor of the issue. Monies raised from the sale of the coins were to go toward perpetuating the memory of Speaker Cannon.

The bill did not gain the necessary support, however, and never made it out of the House Coinage, Weights and Measures Committee. Cannon was not the only Speaker of the House to be the subject of a US commemorative coin proposal, but the others are a story for another day.

While he was not the subject of a US Mint coin or medal, Mr. Cannon's memory is today honored in Washington, DC via the Cannon House Office Building which was named in his honor.

You can learn more about "Uncle Joe" here: http://history.house.gov/People/Detail/10600

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Learn More...
United States
101057 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2014  10:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am impressed with your reaching into the depths of commemorative history. I never would have thought to research something like this, which makes it all the more interesting. Thank you.
Valued Member
United States
217 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2014  11:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wiggam007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another great write up Commems!

What year was the legislation proposed for the coin?
Edited by Wiggam007
02/28/2014 11:23 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5937 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2014  12:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
What year was the legislation proposed for the coin?

1928 - less than two years after Mr. Cannon's death.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7121 Posts
 Posted 03/02/2014  5:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Home now from my annual winter time desert hike ... catching up to another tremendous educational post from commems.

Living in the Maryland suburbs as a daily reader of the Washington Post I often come across written references to meetings being held in the Cannon House Office Building ...

This thread provided a background for the building ... and the connection to a potential 1928 USA commemorative half dollar is demonstrative of commems exemplary efforts to mine the deep history of this tremendous series of coins ...

Truly ... imagine a multi-volume series of books from commems ... the true history of all the known coins ... plus the 'misses' such as this example ... with related ephemera ...

I'm standing in line to subscribe.

Thanks again commems for another wonderful educational post.

David
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 1,213Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.3 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05