Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Hello Guys Is This A Real 1930 Penny

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 38 / Views: 10,287Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member

Australia
301 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2014  08:55 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add sweetap to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello guys its me again. I just seen this penny and I thought Hmm that looks a bit sus , Is that 0 a bit funny to you guys . Thank you.

Pillar of the Community
Australia
1874 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2014  09:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add flippy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It doesn't look right to me either. It's probably a fake.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
539 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2014  09:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add serial to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
the fields are to clear of damage for the amount of wear. I call fake on that thing
Valued Member
Australia
301 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2014  09:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sweetap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is the link, I don't think its right someone is going to pay a lot of money for a fake then That is just not right. How sad people have to do such things to one another.

I feel compelled to contact the people and tell them. Its already over $100 and only just got listed.

I feel so bad for who buys it. I think eBay should make anything like this that goes to a certain amount be certified first other wise it will end in disaster.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Australia-1...em2337710d6e
Pillar of the Community
United States
1804 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2014  09:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Domain555 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I think eBay should make anything like this that goes to a certain amount be certified first other wise it will end in disaster.

Certified? (Nothing RAW could be offered on eBay)

Certain amount? (What Amount?)

If we take this line of thought to the ultimate ... all coins will be sold only in slabs. We all know the price of slabbing. Not to say many folks don't collect in slabs. Some uses books to hold their coins.

No insult intended.

Bedrock of the Community
Australia
19349 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2014  09:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Altered date = fake.
Bedrock of the Community
10045 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2014  1:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DVCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I think eBay should make anything like this that goes to a certain amount be certified first other wise it will end in disaster.
Except that slabs can be faked too--and you're right back where you started; but now you're looking at a coin inside a plastic box. The only way to buy a rarity like this is from a source with a proven reputation--imo.

Just for fun, I blew up the OP's picture and compared it to a genuine 1930 date(bottom)--a pretty crude "1930".

Edited by DVCollector
03/14/2014 2:31 pm
Pillar of the Community
Mexico
1304 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2014  2:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add harrison2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How do you even fake something like that?
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
19349 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2014  7:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was wrong. This fake is totally wrong.

Back in the late 1960's, I built a complete type set of Australian pre decimal silver and bronze coins, where each type was represented by the rarest date.
Except for the 1930 penny, that is, which was represented by a '25.

I didn't get a '30 penny, because even then, fake '30 pennies, mainly altered dates, were FAR more common than genuine '30 pennies. That was at a time when I could afford a '30 penny, when they were only valued at hundreds of dollars, not tens of thousands. I avoided getting a '30 penny, because even during the late 1960's, expertly altered dates abounded.

I even had a complete type set of Australian gold, including an Adelaide Pound. I certainly had enough money to get a genuine '30 penny, but I simply did not trust my own level of expertise enough at the time, to confidently identify the fakes.

Those two collections were sold in the late 1970's, to help raise money to buy a house.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
762 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2014  8:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MobOfRoos to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I don't think its right someone is going to pay a lot of money for a fake then That is just not right. How sad people have to do such things to one another.

I feel compelled to contact the people and tell them. Its already over $100 and only just got listed.

I feel so bad for who buys it. I think eBay should make anything like this that goes to a certain amount be certified first other wise it will end in disaster.

There are always going to be dodgy sellers out there, unfortunately that is just part of human nature. Buyers need to do some homework before buying high cost coins on eBay. Even just doing a google search on 1930 pennies will show this one up as a fake.

Also, many fake 1930 pennies that don't have "copy" printed on them will fetch a high price on eBay, even when the seller declares them as a fake.

Presumably this is because the buyer intends to on-sell it as an original.
Valued Member
Australia
112 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2014  10:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tim Bowden to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yep - report it to eBay - what will happen? Likely nothing, unless the actual buyer after the auction claims that it is fake.

This happens time and time again - and yes, it is illegal. (apparently ...........)

There is nowhere near enough regulation or enforcement of existing laws when it comes to fraud via fake. (IMO).

And it is not in eBay's interest to even investigate, let alone remove. Their business model relies on end-value fees to the seller. If they remove the item, they miss out on their 7-8% of total sale fee.

If the regulating bodies would actually impose the penalties that are supposed to apply to such actions, or facilitating such actions, (and publicise it), we would see a dramatic decrease - individuals not willing to risk paying big fines or going to jail for fraud, online marketplaces being much more active about protecting buyers, rather than risk the big fines for being a conduit for, and facilitating fraud.

It's boils down to risk vs return: At the moment the returns are very good and the risk is low of anything but a slap on the wrist if caught out, so it will continue to happen.

There really seems to be very little appetite at the moment by the regulators to address the issue.

One day maybe the powers that be may find the motivation and develop the expertise to tackle online crime effectively, and people can begin to feel a little more secure about what they are buying, but in the mean-time it really is a case of 'buyer beware', (and, for that matter, 'seller beware'), because no-one else is going to look out for you.

NB: By all means, report it as a fake - My comment is not intended to discourage action (after all, it's pretty hard to say 'someone should do something about it', but then not play their part - I've just reported it to eBay, and would encourage others to) - My comments are really intended just to show disappointment at how poorly this issue is generally handled, even when reported.

Regards,

Tim Bowden
TDK APDC
Valued Member
Australia
301 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2014  11:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sweetap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Guys I realise what your all saying but that does not make it right.

Sometimes it just is not so easy to know as an earlier post stated , he never bought a 1930 penny because he couldn't trust it was real even with his expertise. What chance has a novice have zero to 0 would be my guess.

I still fill sorry for who ever is gouged buy this seller. And I believe the seller is well aware of what he is selling , He has sold coins before and I'm guessing also under another identity.

Hi Tim, eBay fees are much higher than that, standard eBay cost is 9.9% of the total then PayPal fees (which is owned buy eBay also gumtree and craigslist) is a further 2.7% I think or 2.9% one or the other and that includes the postage funds. In other words if the item was $20 and post was $5 they charge 2.7% on the $25. Its a little bit cheaper for store holders but not much.

It is very sad.
Valued Member
Australia
112 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2014  12:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tim Bowden to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Sweetap,

Yep - you're right - My figures were based on 'store owners' - it is more for those without a store subscription.

My figures also did not take in to account store subscription fees or listing fees, as I considered that the actual sale component was the bit that was relevant to my comment. (the final value fees would be the component they would miss out on if the sale were not completed).

And you're right again with the market dominance. Unfortunately that seems to be the way things are going, and have been for a while - the little either struggle to get exposure, (unless the use the larger to do it), or get swallowed by the larger in the drive for market dominance.

It's hard to critise from a business perspective - the best business model must surely be a monopoly.

Maybe one day I'll buy out eBay - ha ha ha - wouldn't that be nice ?......

Enjoy your weekend mate.

Regards,

Tim Bowden
TDK APDC

Valued Member
Australia
301 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2014  01:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sweetap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No worries Tim you also are spot on.

But I think I have evidence to confirm that 1930 penny is fake. Check these fakes (seller says there fakes) on eBay. Now look at the 1930 penny. Is that 0 not identical to the one being sold as genuine. In fact the entire number looks identical. They have just got one of these and aged it then now try and take some one for a ride not very nice.

In fact look at all 3 I can see how with a bit of handling and time it would be hard for the unskilled to determine.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1946-1925-1...em35d3518b67

I find it a little disturbing and I understand how a person could really be put of like one said earlier. Thank you guys I hope you understand I'm not picking on anyone just trying to understand in my old age why on earth is money so important to some , After all it is soon to be replaced anyway. Regards to all sweetap.
Valued Member
Australia
315 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2014  02:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coinsaus to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It doesn't look like a cheap Chinese fake but definitely an altered date which does tend to get good money (approx. $400 on eBay)
Valued Member
Australia
301 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2014  04:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sweetap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi coinsaus. I have bid on some of your listings. You have some nice coins. I think the date looks exactly the same as the fake one as I've said before on here I'm no expert that's why I ask.

But the point is its still fake and people should be told before they commit. Just my opinion of course.

Now guys on another note, I made an offer on a coin today and it looks nice to me well I like it.

Now they have counter offered so I would like the experts to tell me if its a reasonable deal or not.

Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 38 / Views: 10,287Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.47 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: