Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Where Toning Goes A Little Too Far On A Beautiful Coin.

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
2504 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2014  2:12 pm Show Profile   Check CoinCollector2000's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add CoinCollector2000 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Every day is a new opportunity. You can build on yesterday's success or put its failures behind and start over again. That's the way life is, with a new game every day, and that's the way baseball is. -Bob Feller

Bedrock of the Community
Australia
15768 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2014  2:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
I do not see it here.
Pillar of the Community
917 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2014  2:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add LincolnGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Indeed. While I don't think it's great looking, I definitely don't think its ugly.
Valued Member
United States
246 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2014  3:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add iontyre to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I disagree... extremely ugly! I'll never want coins like that in my collection.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1511 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2014  3:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NathanASE to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
with Lincoln, it's not super, but I don't find it ugly, nice old folder toning. My gramps (now my) whole set of washinhtons in an old blue Whitman folder look much like this.. I don't mind it. But then again I'll take a toned coin over a blast white one anyday
Edited by NathanASE
05/10/2014 3:15 pm
Valued Member
United States
246 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2014  3:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add iontyre to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm just the opposite, love blast white...
Pillar of the Community
917 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2014  3:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add LincolnGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am like this with my Lincolns as well, I prefer some color. I don't like every single coin to look the same, it just seems dull to me like that, no character.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10011 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2014  3:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It would be a fine addition to my junk silver stash, nothing more. Perhaps in a "novelties" album with my PMD and errors.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4038 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2014  3:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bpoc1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting to me that looking at the posted coin for sale. The seller does not have, "Mouse over image to zoom in."
This sends me a red flag telling me what do you ( the seller ) do not want me to see.
I would like to see the toning up close. Is it AT or NT?
Edited by bpoc1
05/10/2014 3:37 pm
Pillar of the Community
917 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2014  3:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add LincolnGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks natural to me but I see some black spots on the reverse so I suspect they are trying to hide that. Its not exactly what I would call "monster toned" maybe if by monster he means Frankenstein
Learn More...
United States
23520 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2014  2:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm thinking it turned (possibly deliberately) in the slab; I doubt PCGS would give a coin looking like that one a 65.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2504 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2014  2:33 pm  Show Profile   Check CoinCollector2000's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add CoinCollector2000 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, by beautiful coin I meant that it was MS65, so I thought it was beautiful before the toning. Should've explained more I guess.
Every day is a new opportunity. You can build on yesterday's success or put its failures behind and start over again. That's the way life is, with a new game every day, and that's the way baseball is. -Bob Feller

Pillar of the Community
United States
2504 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2014  2:52 pm  Show Profile   Check CoinCollector2000's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add CoinCollector2000 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry mods, I thought I put it in the right section since it was an eBay listing. My mistake, thank you all for keeping this forum so great.

Valued Member
United States
286 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2014  8:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add zeke5 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That just looks awful! JMO.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3433 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2014  9:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smokeriderdon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is perfectly normal toning. Have many coins similar. I do NOT like it when the brown/copper toning gets that heavy though. Certainly not what I would term monster toning.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1039 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2014  10:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scotty11 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Blast white 1964 quarters can be found for a bit over melt at most coin shops.

I found this pic with a google search of words like 'crust, toning, silver coin, ms, PCGS'....

I love old crusty silver. I don't like the use of the word 'monster' when describing any coin.

I was 2 years old when the '64 was minted. That coin isn't old in my opinion. NumisMedia prices show it to be a $20 coin. The '95 Barber is well beyond my price range. I wonder what the '64 will be worth in another 70 years?

I'll be long gone by then but...I do have a 3 year old granddaughter.

Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.92 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05