Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Old Checks

Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 17
Pillar of the Community
United States
4409 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2014  2:58 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add MeadowviewCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I was curious if anyone here collects old checks. I spent a day going through a box that had been sealed since 1956. It contained a bunch of old checks from about 1915 to the 1950's.

I thought the older checks were neat. A check for $5 in 1918--that was quite a sum back then.

Is there a market for these? Or are they generally worthless?

I'll upload some pics in a little while.

-MV
I'm slowly building my numismatic library--106 works and counting

With assistance, trying to compile a listing of numismatic reference books & materials available to collectors http://goccf.com/t/174749
Pillar of the Community
United States
796 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2014  3:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CGCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have a few I have randomly picked up, Not sure of the market for them, or even what they are worth. But they are pretty interesting pieces of History.
I tend to go for semi-famous people(Have a 1934 Check from Harry S Truman, Stamped as most of his were). Then a Civil War general's Check he cashed
Pillar of the Community
United States
647 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2014  3:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lettow to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
People collect checks for a variety of reasons -- revenue stamps, vignettes, banks, etc.

I collect US government checks.
Valued Member
Canada
398 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2014  4:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SelectCoinCanada to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My father and I pick up old cheque books whenever we can at the right price, there are a lot out there so we stick to mostly Canadian Chartered banks. For some banks there are so few banknotes known to exist that sometimes just having any piece can be quite a feat.

Check out my earlier thread on copper cheque printing plates, for example the Home Bank of Canada only has a handful of banknotes known to exist so having the cheque plate is pretty cool IMO.

http://goccf.com/t/163167

It might be different in the US, but you never know when your going to find a rare gem, and a cheque book is something that can be easily disregarded by one person but would be highly valued to another.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4409 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2014  5:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MeadowviewCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

This is the somewhat illustrated check in the group. The others were plain.

-MV
I'm slowly building my numismatic library--106 works and counting

With assistance, trying to compile a listing of numismatic reference books & materials available to collectors http://goccf.com/t/174749
Pillar of the Community
United States
6362 Posts
 Posted 06/03/2014  8:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TypeCoin971793 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have a check from Oklahoma from 1912 for $72. I got it for free, so I'm not complaining.
France
2 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2015  09:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cebcollect to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi there

I have looked into combining the collection of national banknotes with obsolete checks and have for example a check from 1853 from the national bank of ilion, herkimer county. Now I need the banknote.

I was wondering if there exists a catalog of obsolete american checks?

Thanks
Curt

Edited by cebcollect
08/19/2015 09:45 am
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4193 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2015  10:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chequer to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Catalog? Not so much. There's a lot of info on this site:

http://www.ascheckcollectors.org/

The organization was having some problems getting members to stay active, but dropping an email to a contact may be worthwhile.

I collect Canadian cheques and was an active member of the above for many years - too bad it hasn't been able to remain viable.
United States
11 Posts
 Posted 08/23/2015  4:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add justbored to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
^^^^^^^^^^^ I wouldn't hold your breath on emailing them. I actually sent them an email over a week ago that remains unreplied to. Not a good look for these guys.
Valued Member
260 Posts
 Posted 08/25/2015  10:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DeodatusAlp2002 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Those old checks are worth a few.
Pillar of the Community
United States
794 Posts
 Posted 08/25/2015  10:24 pm  Show Profile   Check CalzoneManiac's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add CalzoneManiac to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think the market for old checks is an underrated area of exonumia.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4193 Posts
 Posted 08/25/2015  10:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chequer to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Extremely underrated.
Pillar of the Community
United States
647 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2015  10:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lettow to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Except among he dealers at shows who tend to be overpriced.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4193 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2015  10:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chequer to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Except among he dealers at shows who tend to be overpriced.

That's almost always the case here too. Unfortunately, the dealers don't know what to do with the material, so they either put crazy prices on a few pieces or don't show it at all (and don't buy it). There needs to be somewhat large-scale education and that was where the above organization came in, but their demise is a setback.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2513 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2015  4:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Parklane64 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Years ago I was overbid on an interesting book that contained the signatures of every BofA manager authorized to sign a certified bank check. Dang, I wanted that! I had made a handsome snipe bid and lost. It was from the early 1900's.
Valued Member
United States
384 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2016  10:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Found this thread a little late, but I'm glad I did. I'm a big fan of checks and would like to see others post some scans here. My collection focuses mainly on engraved 19th and early 20th century items. There is some beautiful material out there if you're patient and alert, often at good prices. (There's also lots of junk; you just have to cull through it.)

Many of these checks were produced by the same banknote firms that printed obsolete notes and even early federal currency. The same vignettes often appear on bank checks as well. Here are a few favorites I own. Anyone care to add more?

Edited by GregAlex
01/17/2016 10:15 pm
Page: of 17 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.8 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05