Coin Community Family of Web Sites
YourCoinBox is offering a stress free way to appraise and sell your coins from the comfort of your home. Our goal is to create an ultra transparent and no pressure experience for finding out what your coins are worth and what to do with them.
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Commems Collection: 1935 Old Spanish Trail Redux

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 1,867Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6110 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2014  10:03 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
My initial post on the 1935 Spanish Trail commemorative half dollar was among my first here on CCF and lacked the "story" that most of my later posts included. So, I decided to revisit the coin and ramble on a bit...

A bill calling for the coin was introduced in the 74th Congress in early 1935. The bill proposed "the coinage of 50-cent pieces in connection with the Cabeza de Vaca expedition and the opening of the Old Spanish Trail."

The commemorative half-dollar was the work of L.W. Hoffecker, a prominent coin dealer in El Paso, Texas - his coin business operated under the name of Watkins Coin Company. Mr. Hoffecker was associated with three US commemorative coins, two that were issued (1935 Spanish Trail; 1936 Elgin, IL) and one that was vetoed by President Herbert Hoover (1930 Gadsden Purchase).

Read More: Commems Collection

When I say that the coin "was the work of L. W. Hoffecker " what I mean is that he conceived of the coin, he designed the coin, he lobbied for the coin in the US Congress, he personally funded the purchase of the coins from the US Mint and he acted as the coin's official distributor. Given the opportunity, I think he might also have agreed to run the presses that struck the coins!

I remember when I first saw pictures of the Spanish Trail half-dollar in the " Red Book" - my first coin reference book - I didn't find the design very attractive. Based on the map featured on the coin's reverse, however, I imagined a great expedition led by a renowned Spanish conquistador that opened up and claimed a new territory for Spain. I was mostly wrong.

Álvar Núñez Cabeza de Vaca was, in fact, part of a Spanish Expedition that came to the New World in 1527. He was not the expedition's leader, but rather its treasurer. The leader of the ill-fated expedition was Páanfilo de Narváez. The expedition met with much hardship - storms, shipwrecks, disease, unfriendly aboriginal peoples - and ultimately was reduced from its initial complement of roughly 700 men to just four or five. Alvar Nunez Cabeza de Vaca was one of the few survivors.

The trail shown on the Spanish Trail half dollar is a rough approximation of de Narváez's expedition from the time it arrived on the gulf coast of Florida to when a small remnant of it landed (it is believed) on Galveston Island off the coast of present-day Texas. It also (theoretically) depicts Cabeza de Vaca's journey across Texas, but it doesn't show his travels into New Mexico, Arizona or the northern provinces of Mexico. It's interesting to note, however, that the coin does depict a trail that terminates in El Paso, Texas - the home of Hoffecker's coin shop - even though Cabeza de Vaca traveled beyond Texas. It does make one wonder...

Moving past the inaccuracy of the coin's trail map, the coin's theme/subject is also a bit of a misnomer. The name "Old Spanish Trail" is actually associated with a trail that connected Santa Fe, New Mexico with southern California. The creation of the trail was largely driven by the desire/need to link Santa Fe and Los Angeles for trading purposes; it developed in the late 1820s / early 1830s (vs. Cabeza's trip in the 1530s). The trail shown on the coin was never part of this trade route through the western expanse of the future US states of New Mexico, Arizona, Colorado, Utah, Nevada and California.

While Cabeza de Vaca was the first European to explore and document the areas of the American West in which he traveled, the path he took never became a "trail" that was followed by others. In fact, when he set out across Texas, he was in search of a Spanish outpost in Mexico rather than embarking on a journey of pure exploration. As he didn't know the location of the post, he was not able to travel directly to it and the actual path he followed is not known.

Cabeza de Vaca published an account of his journey in 1542. You can read it here: http://www.pbs.org/weta/thewest/res...e/cabeza.htm. It includes lengthy discussions of his time spent with the local Native Americans.

It's clear that in his zeal to secure approval of a commemorative half dollar, Hoffecker was willing to bend the truth a bit. It's not that the expedition of Alvar Nunez Cabeza de Vaca is unimportant in the history of the American West, it's just that it doesn't quite measure up to the impact made by the actual "Old Spanish Trail" and appropriating its name doesn't change that fact.

I think maybe I'll start calling the coin the "Narváez - Cabeza de Vaca" half dollar. It's more of a mouthful, but it's a more accurate name than "Old Spanish Trail."

Here are images of my current example of the coin. It was one of the first coins I purchased when I began upgrading my set from MS-63 to MS-65 and beyond.

Enjoy!

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Edited by commems
06/19/2014 10:03 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1211 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2014  09:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hondo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As we have all come to expect, another great post.

Thank you commems and nice coin!
Learn More...
United States
102028 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2014  11:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree, excellent post.

Hard to actually believe, but they do get better and better (relatively, that is, since they are always great). Your ability to top yourself is commendable.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4053 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2014  1:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bpoc1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Commems, again Thank You.
Interesting use of the word "Redux."
I had to look that one up.
Edited by bpoc1
06/20/2014 1:10 pm
Valued Member
United States
467 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2014  7:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Not Mint to Be to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When I see the Montana State Quarter I think of the Spanish Trail half although the quarter is a skull.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7160 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2014  9:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Home again late from work ... thrilled to read another tremendous history from you commems.

Very will written and once again your mastery of the series is evident by your words.

Thank you for your continued valued contributions.

David
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6110 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2014  11:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the kind and supportive words!

@jbuck: Maybe I should submit a few "clunkers" so I keep your expectations low!

@bpoc1: You just might be seeing a few more "Redux" posts!

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Valued Member
United States
287 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2014  11:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add LogPotato to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great post, thanks for taking the effort and time to share it with us. Very nice coin as well.
Learn More...
United States
102028 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2014  09:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
@jbuck: Maybe I should submit a few "clunkers" so I keep your expectations low!
I feel that would be your first failure... as you fail to sink to such a level.

Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 1,867Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.33 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05