Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1914 D Mercury Dime? I know this makes no sense!  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
4 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2014  3:12 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add jazzymoon22 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I found a coin that has written on the outer cardboard "MINI-MERC DIME 1914."

I thought that maybe the date was written wrong since so small and hard to read, but after taking a clear picture and zooming in the stamps on this coin CLEARLY has the following markings:
FRONT: 1914 Letter marking: W Mercury head (NOT THE BARBER) & the word LIBERTY
BACK: UNITED STATES OF AMERICA * ONE DIME * E PLURIE USUMUNI * (letter marking is D)

I put the picture below, so you can see it is NOT a Barber dime. When searching for 1914 I don't find anything about them except anywhere or anyone having them. I've read about fakes, but not any with this year. I'm thinking it's a fake but why make the wrong year? The ONLY picture I've seen with the 1914 Mercury dime is a necklace, made with a faux pendant. However this has no evidence of ever being a piece of something else and seems like a complete coin. Also I read that in 1914 is when the design was come up with for the dime even though they weren't rolled out till 1916 so could it be some rare test? I know just being hopeful but I'm not sure what else to think. THoughts appreciated!

Pillar of the Community
Canada
4162 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2014  3:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chequer to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Kinda reminds me of play money. Do you have a pic of the reverse? Dimensions and weight would be useful too.
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2014  3:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jazzymoon22 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I measured and it's 6/16 of an inch or .375 but I am wary to take it out of this plastic that its in to weigh it. Here's a pic of the back. If anyone is interested to look closer I can email or upload large pictures for zooming.

As a side note, I also have a mini 1903 Indian penny and 1924 mini quarter that was found in this bunch, also in plastic/cardboard holders. But when searching online the Mercury dime had the most value and with the date anomaly it gave me the most curiosity.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
5417 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2014  3:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add zxcccxz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Definitely a fake replica. These are just souvenir coins.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1531 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2014  3:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cruisinfusion to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's a counterfeit.
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2014  3:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jazzymoon22 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am amazed that they would make replicas this well done. I've had this in my possession since I was young, probably about 25 years. I figured as much, but kept hoping for a miracle, lol. I wonder if the other minis I found are fake too or worth a look. Would taking them out of the plastic to take pics and handle be worth it? Here's pics of the other minis I have.

Pillar of the Community
United States
651 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2014  4:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mackwork to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Novelty coins made to look similar to the real things.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4162 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2014  4:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chequer to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You can have an actual shrunken coin, but I don't have any... anyone have any?

http://www.capturedlightning.com/fr...esting1.html
Valued Member
United States
125 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2014  4:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Derek to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Those are so fake looking it is not even funny. They look like mushy plastic to me. That "dime" just looks CREEPY with the bugged out eyeball!
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2014  5:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jazzymoon22 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I didn't even think to check about the size. It's funny I don't even know where they came from but someone at some point put them in these plastic cases thinking they were valuable! ha :)

Well, the funny thing is they are in a jar of wheat pennies, Buffalo nickels, and some other items. These just caught my eye cause of the case, funny they are of the least value!

On to researching values for the following which I've found:
1907 Librety Nickel
1922 Peace dollar
Buffallo Nickels - 1916, 1936(x2) and an unreadable one
Wheat pennies, many years...
1963 Franklin half dollar

and some old coins from other countries. Hm. I think I will be busy for the next few weeks and you all will see me on here a lot. Thank you for humoring me in my fake mini coins! Maybe one or two in this jar will be a collectors item! :)

Pillar of the Community
United States
589 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2014  6:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add johntookit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I am amazed that they would make replicas this well done. I've had this in my possession since I was young, probably about 25 years.

I remember seeing mini Franklins made by Franklin Mint at about that time.
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2018  3:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cappyx to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Does anyone have information on Mercury dime with misprinted date . I have a Mercury dime with a 1914 date and D mint Mark . It is same as other liberty dimes except has date year liberties were not made .
Pillar of the Community
United States
1540 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2018  3:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nfine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Does anyone have information on Mercury dime with misprinted date.

The date wasn't misprinted, it appears as intended. The coin you have is not authentic.
Remember, what the Dormouse said.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4301 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2018  3:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Your coin is fake. A Mercury dime must be dated 1916 and after to be legitimate.

to the CCF!
Collector of all classic US coinage.

How to identify cleaned coins: http://goccf.com/t/319679
Learn More...
United States
58050 Posts
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.74 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05