Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

9/11 Commemoratives

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Egypt
3470 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2007  5:03 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add EgCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I received this add in my mail and was wondering if anyone know from where can I buy this coin.

Image Insert:

5th Anniversary World Trade Center Commemorative
Item #: 10711

Price : $29.95

Description

This historic 2-piece memorial transforms into a magnificent standing sculpture of the Twin Towers, and is clad in 24 KT gold and .999 Pure Silver recovered from Ground Zero!

This groundbreaking non-monetary issue will never be released for circulation. Now, it is available through this special private minting for collectors only!

This truly unique commemorative is created using two distinct struck pieces. First, a traditional round planchet is struck with frosted relief on a mirror-like background. Then, a magnificently engraved skyline featuring the Twin Towers is struck separately and fitted into the background. This World Trade Center skyline can be removed and inserted into a slot on the face of the commemorative. The effect is dazzling -- it is literally transformed into a standing sculpture of the Twin Towers! The World Trade Center skyline is lavishly clad in gleaming silver that was miraculously recovered from a bank vault found under tons of debris at Ground Zero. Now, to mark the fifth anniversary, the same silver that was reclaimed from the destruction has been used to cover the magnificent Twin Towers depicted in the 2001-2006 World Trade Center Commemorative. The stunning design of this magnificent September 11th memorial is a 15 mg. of 24 KT gold and 15 mg. of .999 pure silver clad tribute to all who were lost on that fateful day. $5 of every commemorative order is donated to official 9/11 family charities and memorials.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2269 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2007  5:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spider5689 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, its not a genuine US Mint product.
It may be from the Morgan Mint?

I'm not too sure, I do remember seeing these ads about a year ago.
Pillar of the Community
United States
597 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2007  5:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Scottishmoney to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This piece may have been the one that was the subject of a lawsuit by the State of New York claiming that they were misrepresenting the piece as a genuine gold plated silver coin. In fact it has a miniscule amount of both metals and the core is base metal.
Pillar of the Community
Egypt
3470 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2007  6:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add EgCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
In fact it has a miniscule amount of both metals and the core is base metal.

because the price is too low ($29.95)for a gold/silver coin
Valued Member
United States
239 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2007  6:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kenny_1745 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm pretty sure that all the gold and silver that was found at Ground Zero was in coins that were encapuslated by PCGS. I bought two of them a couple of years ago.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12437 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2007  8:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add biokemist6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bars of gold and silver were present in the COMEX vaults, along with the Eagles slabbed by PCGS/Collector's Universe and other world bullion coins.
Valued Member
United States
57 Posts
 Posted 08/24/2007  01:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sagan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I see that advertised on late night TV along with the Corvette coin with light-up headlights..
Valued Member
United States
376 Posts
 Posted 09/05/2007  06:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add madspec to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This thing is not worth the price they are wanting. A friend ordered one and in my opinion it is JUNK, it is all base metal and the plating,(whatever it is, it isn't Gold) is so thin that if you rub the edge of it the plating will come off.

I wouldn't give more than a dollar for it just as a novelty.

madspec
Valued Member
138 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2008  02:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Homer1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The above coin may have been or not the subject of a lawsuit. However, National Collector's Mint had one made in silver clad of the Twin Towers that was a One Dollar coin minted in one of the Islands maybe Bellaruse. The U.S. Mint Threatened them along with Barry Goldwater to stop making them and to recall and have them destroyed. Because they used and infringed upon the U.S. Patent "United State of America, One Dollar and In God We Trust". The Collector's Mint Wrote me and requested that I return the coins, I never did. This coin had the Twin Towers on side and the new Tower to be on the other.
Edited by Homer1
02/13/2008 02:25 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
4358 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2019  09:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add USSID18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Proud member of the Black Sheep Squadron!

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.62 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05