Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Vespasian!

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

Canada
579 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2014  5:31 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Whizb4ng to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I saved up a little of money for the past Triskeles Auction and am very pleased with my two purchases. This one was the first one that caught my eye. I have been looking for an awesome Vespasian.

I may have mentioned before that the year of four emperors is one of my favourite times in Roman history. Vespasian was sent to Judea to suppress the Jewish revolt and was there when Nero died. A couple months after Vitellius secured his rule Vespasian's troops declared him emperor. However, rather than march on Rome directly he sent one of his strongest supporters at the head of some of his legions towards Rome while he went to Alexandria. He knew Rome was reliant on the grain supplies of Alexandria and by controlling the grain supply it would be only a matter of time until he controlled Rome itself. It wasn't until mid-70 that he actually traveled to Rome.

Vespasian. A.D. 69-79. Æ sestertius (32 mm, 25.01 g, 6 h). Rome, A.D. 71.
IMP CAES VESPASIAN AVG P M TR P P P COS III, laureate head of Vespasian right
PAX AVGVSTI, S C across field, Pax standing, facing, head left, holding olive branch and cornucopiae.
RIC 181; BMC 554; BN 512-5.

For some reason the camera on my tablet loves to highlight red so I have included the auction photo as well to get a better idea of the colour.

Big bronze is awesome!
Pillar of the Community
United States
3116 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2014  5:45 pm  Show Profile   Check FVRIVS RVFVS's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add FVRIVS RVFVS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
An incredible coin. I have nothing of Vespasian to even hold a candle to this one. The PAX reverse is of course the compliment to the more warlike types of Vespasian and Titus.
A coin I will wager you will never regret buying !
Of course I assume you paid handsomely for it. Let the 'plebes' think you stole it of course ........
IN GOD WE TRVST ....... all others pay cash !

COGITO ERGO SPVD
I think ...... therefore I yam
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
3626 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2014  6:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pishpash to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Awesome :)
Learn More...
United States
22887 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2014  8:27 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Super coin, I'm jealous. Congrats!
Pillar of the Community
United States
513 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2014  9:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chuy1530 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Gorgeous coin.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
579 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2014  10:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Whizb4ng to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Of course I assume you paid handsomely for it. Let the 'plebes' think you stole it of course ........

I expected the coin to go out of my price range so for the price I got it for I am extremely happy!

I don't think I paid too handsomely. The coins from my group lot paid for their fair share of this coin :D
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
16623 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2014  10:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A nice gutsy first brass, and a piece worthy of inclusion in ANY collection of ancient coins, for either museum or private collection.

This is the sort of coin to show that it becomes easier to appreciate
why the average price of silver denarii of Rome is lower, than the average price of first brass coins of Rome.

Generally speaking, this is supported by the pricing in
'Roman Coins and their values' by David Sear.
Pillar of the Community
Netherlands
1204 Posts
 Posted 07/27/2014  2:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dutchgulden to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oh man this coin looks great! Excellent purch ASE
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.53 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05