Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Septimius Severus, Circus Maximus Denarius

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
2480 Posts
 Posted 08/22/2014  11:01 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add ThisIsFun to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I don't collect a ton of Roman Imperials but the opportunity to own this coin was too tempting to pass up

Septimius Severus
Rome, AD 206

AR denarius, 3.41 gm, 20 mm, 12h
Obv: SEVERVS PIVS AVG, laureate head right
Rev: LAETITIA TEMPORVM, the spina of the Circus Maximus decorated as a ship facing left, with the turning posts at its prow and stern, a sail mounted on the central obelisk, and the spina's other monuments visible in between; above the ship, four quadrigas racing left; below, seven animals: an ostrich at left and a bear at right; between them a lion and a lioness chasing a wild donkey and a panther attacking a bison
Ref: RIC 274; BMC 343.
Near Extremely Fine. Very Rare.
Privately acquired August 2014
ex Colosseo Collection
ex Roma Numismatics, Auction VII, lot 1108

Lighting and camera settings can markedly impact the look of a given coin. Here's another image of the coin with a different lamp, different position, and different camera settings. While the other image more closely resembles the in-hand look in daylight, the following images highlight the devices nicely.

The Roman Empire Secular Games were massive celebrations which occurred approximately every ~100-110 years. They may have begun as early as 509 BC but became more regular during the Republic.

Septimius Severus was in power during a Secular Games year and staged a memorable celebration. This coin commemorates the event. Per Dio Cassius:

"The whole construction in the amphitheatre was made in the form of a ship, and was so conceived that 400 beasts might be received into it, and at the same time be sent forth from it. Then, when it suddenly collapsed there issued out of it bears, lionesses, panthers, lions, ostriches, wild asses and bison, so that seven hundred beasts, both wild and domesticated, were seen running about at the same time and were slaughtered." (LXXVII, 4-5).

For more details of the Secular Games and to see an even better example of this coin, click here.

It's been quite a year in coins for me and I've been working on my website these last few weeks. I may make some major changes to the layout and functionality and I have bunches of coins to add-- including some fantastic new purchases-- but it's coming along. Please check it out Last week I added a "stories" section. Some of that content was pulled from various forum posts.

Thanks for looking, and feel free to post your Septimius Severus or Secular Games coins in this thread!

Edited by ThisIsFun
08/22/2014 11:05 pm
Learn More...
United States
22887 Posts
 Posted 08/22/2014  11:19 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I really love the reverse on this coin. This has to be a rare issue, this is the first one of these that I've seen.
Pillar of the Community
Netherlands
1204 Posts
 Posted 08/23/2014  09:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dutchgulden to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Amazing coin, what an interesting reverse! (and rare is always nice)

According to your call here is an other denarius of Septimius of Mine:

Pillar of the Community
United States
4732 Posts
 Posted 08/23/2014  10:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chrsmat71 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
that's an absolutely FANTASTIC coin...what an AWESOME reverse!

here's my only SS denarius..

Pillar of the Community
United States
2480 Posts
 Posted 08/23/2014  10:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ThisIsFun to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, guys! Nice additions to the thread... please post more

It's fitting that I now have this coin. When it was up for auction earlier this year I was bidding on some other lots. I saw this one approach the block and there were no bids even though the opening price was not unreasonable. My finger hovered and I knew I should bid but I didn't. A friend bought it. Laughing, I said I saved him a several hundred dollars as his max bid was higher than my almost-bid. He has another one and decided to sell the duplicate. I was ready and waiting.

I have only one other Imperial of Septimius Severus, a denarius from a blindly purchased mixed lot. This is probably my most dramatic upgrade

Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
3626 Posts
 Posted 08/23/2014  12:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pishpash to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Breathtaking, not seen one of these before. You find the most fabulous coins Tif.
Pillar of the Community
United States
513 Posts
 Posted 08/23/2014  1:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chuy1530 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's an extremely cool reverse.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2480 Posts
 Posted 08/23/2014  1:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ThisIsFun to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just noticed that CCF's automated profanity filter changed a word in the coin's description.

The word it changed had three letters beginning with an A; it is an animal related to horses and donkeys.

What's hilarious is that the profanity filter changed it to a word which, to me, seems equally offensive (butt), although neither word strikes me as particularly "bad".
Edited by ThisIsFun
08/23/2014 1:30 pm
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
3626 Posts
 Posted 08/23/2014  1:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pishpash to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Must have been chasing the animal from behind....... :)
Pillar of the Community
United States
2480 Posts
 Posted 08/23/2014  1:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ThisIsFun to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Echizento-- can the word in question be changed to what it is supposed to be? Having an incorrect and nonsensical attribution is irksome and unscholarly. In context, it certainly isn't profanity. Can mods override the filter?
Learn More...
United States
22887 Posts
 Posted 08/23/2014  2:26 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
TIF, the best I can do is to change the word to Donkey.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3116 Posts
 Posted 08/23/2014  2:26 pm  Show Profile   Check FVRIVS RVFVS's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add FVRIVS RVFVS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
An extraordinary coin ! Quite the acquisition
IN GOD WE TRVST ....... all others pay cash !

COGITO ERGO SPVD
I think ...... therefore I yam
Pillar of the Community
United States
2480 Posts
 Posted 08/23/2014  2:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ThisIsFun to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for trying, Ski.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1283 Posts
 Posted 08/23/2014  6:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Doucet to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Beautiful coin and photos!

I like the first photo best.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5155 Posts
 Posted 08/24/2014  11:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ancientnoob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I favor the firat photo as well. Its quite a nice piece, congratulations. Good to see you back.
Valued Member
United States
61 Posts
 Posted 08/24/2014  6:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rasiel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Despite what RIC says this is not a rare coin. I counted 43 just from finished auctions and there have been a good number sold privately also. It is however a very expensive coin!

Love the sleek presentation of your site by the way.

Ras
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.87 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05