Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Bargain Sestertius Of Commodus

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Netherlands
1204 Posts
 Posted 08/28/2014  3:43 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Dutchgulden to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I was able to buy this attractive sestertius for not even 18 euros on eBay incl shipping! Even though its worn, I like the obverse bust very much!

The reference will be impossible due the lack of detail on the reverse and legend.

28mm, 20,83grams:

The sestertius of Commodus I already own compensates the reverse, the new one does it vice versa with the nice portrait of commodus.

Edited by Dutchgulden
08/29/2014 06:36 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
2480 Posts
 Posted 08/28/2014  4:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ThisIsFun to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What a great bargain! I agree- it's beautiful in spite of the wear. It would be a wonderful piece to carry around with you.
Learn More...
United States
22890 Posts
 Posted 08/28/2014  4:23 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Excellent patina on this coin, it's a keeper.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
3626 Posts
 Posted 08/28/2014  4:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pishpash to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lovely portrait.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3117 Posts
 Posted 08/28/2014  5:50 pm  Show Profile   Check FVRIVS RVFVS's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add FVRIVS RVFVS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice deal !

Never say never amigo
I believe it is RIC 619 Sear 5764
The unusual obverse legend with the ending FEL(IX) rather than BRIT or AVG narrows it down a bit
Libertas standing left holding pileus and scepter
Dated to AD 192 .......... A very late date !
IN GOD WE TRVST ....... all others pay cash !

COGITO ERGO SPVD
I think ...... therefore I yam
Pillar of the Community
Netherlands
1204 Posts
 Posted 08/29/2014  01:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dutchgulden to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Jeremy, next time I'll ask ypu first to take a look at it before I draw my conclusions ;-)
And yes its a keeper for me
Pillar of the Community
United States
1132 Posts
 Posted 08/29/2014  02:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CopperCastle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Aren't all sestertius the same denomination? The word itself means 2 and a half. I know if it's silver it's privy to the Roman Republic & if brass the Empire. Maybe I'm misunderstanding the use of denomination?
Pillar of the Community
Netherlands
1204 Posts
 Posted 08/29/2014  06:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dutchgulden to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
you are right, thanks
Pillar of the Community
United States
513 Posts
 Posted 08/29/2014  5:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chuy1530 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Still a lot nicer than my bargain sestertius of Commodus. I wanted one of the denomination, it was under $5, and hey, I liked the color (it's much more blue in hand.)

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 3.71 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05