Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2009-D Dimes Are Rare?

Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar of the Community
United States
1158 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2014  12:08 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add tkbslc to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
So are people really paying several times face value for rolls of 2009-D dimes because mintage is "only" 49,000,000?

$550 for 50 rolls:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2009-D-ROOS...em19f4026e82

$90 for 5 rolls:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-ROLLS-OF-...em2c7fec5f40

$15 for one roll (with several sold):
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-ROLL-2009...em27e04fc90b

Bedrock of the Community
United States
15109 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2014  12:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No they aren't rare, just a lower than normal mintage which resulted in a lot of speculation and hoarding. With everyone hoarding them, and the lower mintage, they are scarce in circulation. Since people don't see them in circulation it reinforces the idea that they are "rare" which increases the speculation.

In reality almost the entire mintage still exists and the majority of it probably still in MS. Call it 20 to 30 million MS coins. How many Jefferson nickel collectors are there? There are a lot more MS coins available than there are collectors. Hardly my definition of what I would call "rare".
Gary Schmidt
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5434 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2014  12:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
All 2009 coins except the dollars and halves went for insane prices from the time they came out until they dispersed to satisfy collector demand for BU rolls. In mid-2009, it was not uncommon to see boxes of cents or nickels go for 5-10x face value, often with dozens of bids. That bubble popped around 2010, and the people who bought them at 10x face in 2009 expect to be able to sell them for at least that much now. There is still demand, but fair market price is closer to 1.5-2x face for BU rolls.

I'd expect to see a surge of BU 2009 coins in circulation following the next major recession--they are very unlikely to slip into circulation one by one when most of them are still sitting in sealed boxes or rolls. People won't resort to spending them until they are needed for that week's groceries.
New Sale! Inexpensive classic Greek silver, over 2,400 years old!

http://goccf.com/t/323297
Pillar of the Community
United States
1110 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2014  3:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ghostrider to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The one thing about human nature is that a perceived reality is a factual reality. Irregardless of many times a person is told that something is not rare even though he hasn't seen it, then it becomes a factual reality.

The only thing that will cause an end to this "reality" is that the coins show up in circulation.

I search some dimes now and then and am in the habit of accumulating good coins from each year and mint with an eye of keeping one or two rolls from each category for my own use (future trading or future whatever). In the time that I have been doing so (5 years) I still have to accumulate one mixed mint roll of '09 dimes. Therefor from my reality there is pronounced shortage of 2009 dimes. Can't say the same about pennies but dimes I can.

Granted there may be a time when the hoarded dimes are put back into circulation, but until that time the perceived reality of a shortage is a factual shortage.

Remember the old adage that the proof of the pudding is the eating. The eating of 2009 dimes is way short at the present time.

But to answer the other part of the question: No I wouldn't pay $55 for a roll of 2009 dimes. I know that eventually I'll get what I'm looking for.
Edited by ghostrider
09/24/2014 3:24 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1357 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2014  10:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jpsned to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I check my change regularly, and have never found any 2009-D dimes, 2009-P/D nickels, or 2009 P/D pennies.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1110 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2014  5:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ghostrider to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Actually jpsned the 2009's that I have found were not found in change but by way of roll searching. I usually pick up 4 to 6 dime rolls and look through them looking for the current dime of the time for my stack of circulating dimes. Its taken me awhile to put together the small stack that I have of them.

However, I can honestly say that like you I don't believe that I have ever found one in my change. And I do refuse to purchase coins that I feel I should have a reasonably good chance of finding by roll searching and given suitable time to reach my goals.

I don't find a lot of them at any one time but enough to keep my interest up to continue the search.

The do however show up with much more regularity than Indian Head pennies do. So the search continues.
Edited by ghostrider
09/25/2014 5:25 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1357 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2014  7:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jpsned to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
ghostrider,

as far as modern coins go I never buy them, I always fill my albums with what I find in change. What's really weird is that I have almost a complete set of the State Quarters, taken solely from change... EXCEPT I have not been able to find the Denver issues for Alabama (2003), Utah (2007), Oklahoma, New Mexico, and Hawaii (2008). These coins have been out and about for a good long time, and they all have the normal mintage of around 235 million. I have been able to get all the other Philly- and Denver-issued State Quarters, just by looking through my change. What gives?
Edited by jpsned
09/25/2014 7:59 pm
Valued Member
United States
62 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2014  9:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coinish to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Recent eBay sales have the rolls going for 3 times face value.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Roosevelt-1...H_Complete=1
Pillar of the Community
1325 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2014  05:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add shadz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Luckily I have then ALL from circulation, though did buy some of the pennies: cents, nickels, dimes, quarters, halves, SAC/NAs, Pre$, P & D.

I can understand people speculating, but to have too many, you aren't creating such a shortage when the number of people collecting them probably already got them from the Mint, and those looking for circulated coins get those left in circulation. It will take a few decades before they are really worth anything since it is just a low mintage year for the dimes/nickel/quarters. I actually think quarters would be the most valuable ones of the 2009 since there are 12, but then everyone probably isn't going for a set, and had it not been for the folder I got I would only have the 6 for the designs. Those too were probably already got by most people from the Mint.
United States
38 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2014  12:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add turbozack to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm going to have to start keeping an eye out for these in my change.
Valued Member
United States
241 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2014  12:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add iontyre to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
jpsned: Keep looking, you'll find the ones you are missing. I did complete the states set from circulation, last one found was the 2004 Texas D. I am still missing a 2009 DC D however. I have now started upgrading them all to uncirculated (using mint sets for some, not sure how I'll do the 2005 - 2008 that were those silly Satin finish in the mint sets). Most of the ones you are still looking for were among the last dozen or so I found.
Valued Member
United States
241 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2014  1:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add iontyre to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Forget 2009. I still think the real sleepers are the ATB Quarters from the first half of 2012: El Yunque, Chaco Culture, and Acadia. Real low mintages for quarters (<25 million each from each mint) and not as much hoarding so the uncirculated ones may eventually spike.
Pillar of the Community
United States
574 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2014  2:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add garys64wildcat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I get all D mint coins but cant find the P mint coins. Still need a bunch of P`s from circulation only. I could buy them all cheap, but its the hunt that gets me exited
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17615 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2014  4:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes of course keep looking for those. Remember that with 49 million made and 350 million people in the USA, that makes for about 7 coins per person. So if you grabbed 14, someone will have none. If you grabbed millions, many people will have none. I'm predicting that in about 200 years those will be worth $0.20 each in MS grades.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
837 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2014  4:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DaytR to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
with 49 million made and 350 million people in the USA, that makes for about 7 coins per person

I think that should be 7 people per coin...
Edited by DaytR
09/26/2014 4:56 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1507 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2014  6:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DoubleEagle20 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I watch pocket change pretty regular and I have gotten only one 2009-D dime. All I needed is one for the Whitman.

I just dumped a bunch of 2009 territorial quarters off at the bank so the kids can find them for their books.
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.11 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05