Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

The Most Interesting Coins In The World

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
5155 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2014  2:30 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Ancientnoob to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Poll Question
With some new members on the board it might be fun to look at where the most "ancient and medieval" coin interest lies.

Vote for your favorite Ancient Numismatic Culture...

Poll Choices
  The Romans and Client Kingdoms
  The Greeks Europe, Africa and Asia Minor
  The Persians and Vassals
  The Huns and Associated Peoples
  The Kushan and Successor States
  The Indo Greeks and Greco Bactrians
  The Collective Empires and Kingdoms of India
  The Chinese
  Hindu/ Buddhist Southeast Asia and the Pacific
  The Eastern Romans Byzantine Empire
  Germanic / Gothic Europe and Africa
  Sub-Saharan Africa
  Islam and Arab,Europe, Asia, Africa and India
  Others, Nomadic tribes and Stepp People

Learn More...
United States
22887 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2014  2:35 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You should add All of the Above.
Pillar of the Community
3772 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2014  3:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Medieval to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
You should add All of the Above.

Where are the Celtic coins (including the Romano-Celtiberian ones)?
And where are the Phoenician/Zeugetanian ones?

You surely must have quite a few good examples of those and some other smaller groups (which might be subsumed by 'Others')
Pillar of the Community
United States
4778 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2014  3:13 pm  Show Profile   Check VisigothKing's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add VisigothKing to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think the poll is fine how it is. Cool poll Anoob!

Those that know me pretty much know what I voted for
"For as long as Belisarius lives, it is impossible for him to relinquish this city." - Roman general Belisarius, responding to a group of Gothic envoys, during the Gothic siege of Rome in 537 AD

Attributed coins in my collection so far - Roman: 241, Byzantine: 44, Post-Roman Germanic: 24
Pillar of the Community
Netherlands
1204 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2014  4:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dutchgulden to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Too many interesting numanistic cultures!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
5417 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2014  6:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add zxcccxz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is and always has been archaic greek for me. Especially issues from around the Mediterranean.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5155 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2014  6:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ancientnoob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Jeeze like the real ancient world we are seeing overwhelming Roman domination.
Pillar of the Community
1106 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2014  7:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Topcat7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Are we?

During (any) election the candidates vie to be the first name on the voting card because of the 'Donkey Vote'.
(For those unfamiliar with the term it applies when people 'relate' to the first name (title) on the list and seldom read past it and vote accordingly.)

Are we seeing that here?
Learn More...
Australia
13293 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2014  9:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't think so, TC.

Roman coins are easily the most popular ancient coins to collect. This is not just because they're (usually) cheaper and more readily available than all those other types, but they are also the most easily understandable to modern Westerners. Their alphabet is the same as ours, so we can more easily read their coins without having to learn a new language. The names we encounter are familiar from our history books, because "Roman history" is much more a part of "Western history" than the histories of all the other named cultures. So it is only to be expected.

For myself, I voted Greek. I'm a "one-from-every-country" collector, and the vast concatenation of Greek city-states, kingdoms, tribes and federations offers me far more "countries" to collect than all the other stated options put together.

That being said, I currently own about 5 times as many "Roman" coins than "Greek" coins. "What I like" and "what I collect the most of" are clearly two different things for me.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Pillar of the Community
1106 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2014  9:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Topcat7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Hi, Sap. Interesting.

I do go along with your comments. At the moment I prefer the Greek coins - I am not sure why - possibly something to do with the birth of modern man.

The Romans do have a lot more variety, and interesting stories - Oh yes, and cheaper, too. (That's a plus.)

But then I also collect Megalodon teeth, so . . . . . . . . . . . .
Pillar of the Community
United States
567 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2014  10:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jcmworld to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Where's pre-Islamic Central Asia?
I vote for that.
Also Samanid/Qarakhanid.
I vote for that also.
Pillar of the Community
United States
513 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2014  10:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chuy1530 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Greek are the most interesting looking in my opinion, because of the variety subject matter and quality of design displayed on the coin is greater than in any other era. I collect far more Roman coins though because I know far more about the era and there are more available.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
3626 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2014  10:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pishpash to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Greeks. I can't vote because I peeked at the results :(
Pillar of the Community
United States
4732 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2014  12:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chrsmat71 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i voted indo greek...but next week I'd vote something different. it's like when someone ask me my favorite type of music is...well, that just depends.

like ski...i dig them all, but as sap says..i have more roman coins than anything.
Pillar of the Community
United States
564 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2014  03:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Arael to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I didn't know Sub-Saharan Africa had any coins! If they do I'm very interested in learning about that, would someone care to enlighten me?
Pillar of the Community
United States
3116 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2014  07:44 am  Show Profile   Check FVRIVS RVFVS's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add FVRIVS RVFVS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would agree that what 'I like best' and what I can afford to collect are two different things.

That being said if I were a Billionaire I would be buying up all the gem quality Sicilian Greek coins I could find !

But needing to live in the real world I will content myself with searching for 'handsome' Roman Imperials
IN GOD WE TRVST ....... all others pay cash !

COGITO ERGO SPVD
I think ...... therefore I yam
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.87 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05