Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

How To Remove Strong Black "Stuff" On Ikes

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 2,891Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
1804 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2015  10:18 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Domain555 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
MODs-STAFF Not too sure where to place this post. Please help

I have two Eisenhower (not) low balls.

They both have a black-ish "stuff" on them that acetone is not removing.

As far as I am concerned they are only a PMD buck, and I have zero obligation to save or protect.

Anyone know of a stronger way to get the black off?

They are in a 2nd bath of Acetone right now.

I see no need to be gentle. Is there a MILD ACID that might work?

Would make nice pocket coins, if they were "SHINNY."
Bedrock of the Community
United States
33652 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2015  11:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe zylene?
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Learn More...
United States
86481 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2015  2:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
MODs-STAFF Not too sure where to place this post. Please help
Moved.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12437 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2015  3:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add biokemist6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Without knowing what the "stuff" is or even seeing a picture of it, it is impossible to give you any useful advice.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1192 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2015  4:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bertensgrad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If it iss destined to be a pocket piece just place it in your pocket. Normal circulation wear can do wonders I find. I had a heavily PVC damaged ike stained green and it came off in a few weeks. Mine also had a black stain on it but I got it off with a eraser.

The goal however was just for me to have something to toss, spin, and use as a education piece. Wouldn't do it if you want a perfect problem free low ball coin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3481 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2015  4:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I had some like that. I spent them and that took care of the issue.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1804 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2015  6:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Domain555 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To all at the moment

Back in the ACETONE for an over night soak. ~`~`~`

Eraser may have helped some.

ACETONE may have helped some more.

One coin is a PMD issue of heavy grinding or something.

The other coin is a not shiny, legit WORN coin.

May use (either) as a pocket coin.

Will up-date later

Grateful to everyone.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1804 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2015  09:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Domain555 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
UP-DATE

More ACETONE time and more eraser work is starting to do some good.

Thanks
Pillar of the Community
United States
1804 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2015  3:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Domain555 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
UP-DATE 1-25-2015

Back in the ACETONE after more erasure work.

For what I want, it is coming along well enough. May eventually place it in my ordinary pocket pieces to carry. Now using a 1976 (D) type one TONER ~`~`~`~` PEG LEG.

Thanks to all.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1158 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2015  5:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tkbslc to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I had some like that. I spent them and that took care of the issue.

That's what I would do.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1804 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2015  12:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Domain555 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
tkb---

Quote:
That's what I would do.

Astute,

I'm a 11 month, relative newbie, and I wish to learn as much as I can in the shortest amount of time.

I have some small amount of joy in both of these coins.

I have more joy in my NOT TPGed PO-01(?) low balls.

LOW BALL PCGS registry sets is a nice place to visit and dream.

Regarding these 2 coins, I am wondering how many days in a pair of Levis will it take to get them down to AG-03, FR-02 or better?

Now my question:

If you were trying to whittle them down, would you put 2 coins in one pocket, or place the coins in separate pockets to get a more problem free IKE?

Thank You ~`~`~`~

Domain555

Bedrock of the Community
Australia
17001 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2015  08:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
ALL of these coins look like they have been whittled down already!

Spend 'em, - (if you can!)
Pillar of the Community
United States
1804 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2015  08:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Domain555 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
SEL

Quote:
ALL of these coins look like they have been whittled down already!

Spend 'em, - (if you can!)

My bad.

Need to get the two coin PICs up before some says "get a rope." Some times I get a little weird on precise postings.

Those 2 IKES are in a long ACETONE soak. The ACETONE and eraser work is doing good, regarding the black "stuff."

The three coins in the picture are not the same as the 2 coins in the OP subject.

The 3 possible PO-01 IKEs in the PICs you see are both spendable, and worth more than a buck, each. Raw and/or slabbed.

Learn More...
United States
86481 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
1795 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2015  11:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadToTheBone to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Try Lemon or Lime juice or even alcohol swabs.
Valued Member
United States
204 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2015  8:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CENTertainment to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have proofs with some sort of "black stuff". I'm not brave enough to fool with acetone. Care with proofs any different?
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 2,891Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.73 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05