Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

How To Remove Strong Black "Stuff" On Ikes

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
1804 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2015  10:18 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Domain555 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
MODs-STAFF Not too sure where to place this post. Please help

I have two Eisenhower (not) low balls.

They both have a black-ish "stuff" on them that acetone is not removing.

As far as I am concerned they are only a PMD buck, and I have zero obligation to save or protect.

Anyone know of a stronger way to get the black off?

They are in a 2nd bath of Acetone right now.

I see no need to be gentle. Is there a MILD ACID that might work?

Would make nice pocket coins, if they were "SHINNY."
Bedrock of the Community
United States
29085 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2015  11:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe zylene?
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Learn More...
United States
76366 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2015  2:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
MODs-STAFF Not too sure where to place this post. Please help
Moved.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12437 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2015  3:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add biokemist6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Without knowing what the "stuff" is or even seeing a picture of it, it is impossible to give you any useful advice.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1192 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2015  4:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bertensgrad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If it iss destined to be a pocket piece just place it in your pocket. Normal circulation wear can do wonders I find. I had a heavily PVC damaged ike stained green and it came off in a few weeks. Mine also had a black stain on it but I got it off with a eraser.

The goal however was just for me to have something to toss, spin, and use as a education piece. Wouldn't do it if you want a perfect problem free low ball coin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3403 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2015  4:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I had some like that. I spent them and that took care of the issue.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1804 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2015  6:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Domain555 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To all at the moment

Back in the ACETONE for an over night soak. ~`~`~`

Eraser may have helped some.

ACETONE may have helped some more.

One coin is a PMD issue of heavy grinding or something.

The other coin is a not shiny, legit WORN coin.

May use (either) as a pocket coin.

Will up-date later

Grateful to everyone.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1804 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2015  09:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Domain555 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
UP-DATE

More ACETONE time and more eraser work is starting to do some good.

Thanks
Pillar of the Community
United States
1804 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2015  3:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Domain555 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
UP-DATE 1-25-2015

Back in the ACETONE after more erasure work.

For what I want, it is coming along well enough. May eventually place it in my ordinary pocket pieces to carry. Now using a 1976 (D) type one TONER ~`~`~`~` PEG LEG.

Thanks to all.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1158 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2015  5:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tkbslc to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I had some like that. I spent them and that took care of the issue.

That's what I would do.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1804 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2015  12:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Domain555 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
tkb---

Quote:
That's what I would do.

Astute,

I'm a 11 month, relative newbie, and I wish to learn as much as I can in the shortest amount of time.

I have some small amount of joy in both of these coins.

I have more joy in my NOT TPGed PO-01(?) low balls.

LOW BALL PCGS registry sets is a nice place to visit and dream.

Regarding these 2 coins, I am wondering how many days in a pair of Levis will it take to get them down to AG-03, FR-02 or better?

Now my question:

If you were trying to whittle them down, would you put 2 coins in one pocket, or place the coins in separate pockets to get a more problem free IKE?

Thank You ~`~`~`~

Domain555

Bedrock of the Community
Australia
15787 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2015  08:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
ALL of these coins look like they have been whittled down already!

Spend 'em, - (if you can!)
Pillar of the Community
United States
1804 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2015  08:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Domain555 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
SEL

Quote:
ALL of these coins look like they have been whittled down already!

Spend 'em, - (if you can!)

My bad.

Need to get the two coin PICs up before some says "get a rope." Some times I get a little weird on precise postings.

Those 2 IKES are in a long ACETONE soak. The ACETONE and eraser work is doing good, regarding the black "stuff."

The three coins in the picture are not the same as the 2 coins in the OP subject.

The 3 possible PO-01 IKEs in the PICs you see are both spendable, and worth more than a buck, each. Raw and/or slabbed.

Learn More...
United States
76366 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
1795 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2015  11:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadToTheBone to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Try Lemon or Lime juice or even alcohol swabs.
Valued Member
United States
189 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2015  8:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CENTertainment to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have proofs with some sort of "black stuff". I'm not brave enough to fool with acetone. Care with proofs any different?
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 2 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05