Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Walking Back In Time From 1600 To Antiquity By Decades. Looking For 480s

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 62
Learn More...
United States
75094 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
2673 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2019  4:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
On the Valkash drachm:

As for the Odoacer coin, it's really nice, but to progress the thread past the 470s we need a coin with a shorter range.

I think some members here used to have a Zenonis monogram, but I'm not sure if any of them still have that. Supposedly Ben sold his example back in 2015 or so.

I don't suppose anyone's got a Basiliscus?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12511 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2019  7:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good point @j1m. we are looking for coins which if not dated, then were first minted in the decade of the 470s but were not minted for more than 10 years (i.e. 476-486 AD would count).
"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
United States
4778 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2019  9:15 pm  Show Profile   Check VisigothKing's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add VisigothKing to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Whoops, sorry! Didn't notice that part of the rules. Then I don't have anything that would work.
"For as long as Belisarius lives, it is impossible for him to relinquish this city." - Roman general Belisarius, responding to a group of Gothic envoys, during the Gothic siege of Rome in 537 AD

Attributed coins in my collection so far - Roman: 241, Byzantine: 44, Post-Roman Germanic: 24
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12511 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2019  9:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I know your struggle @VK--the 5th century is pretty much a giant hole in my collection. The three coins that I currently have in my collection which definitively date to this time period are only more than the number of coins date-able to the 5th and 6th Centuries BC for me.

I think that we may be in for a long slog with this effort.
"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Canada
16 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2019  6:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tzetz13 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Two birds with one stone?

460s
470s

Anthemius 467-472

0.62g / no diameter in the listing

Unfortunately I did now win this one...
Edited by tzetz13
07/09/2019 6:26 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12511 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2019  7:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@tzetz13, that is a great coin! By the rules of this thread, it will count for the decade of the 460s. Please post it as soon someone posts a coin minted in the 470s. Thx!
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5667 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2019  1:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are actually plenty of coins attributable to the 470s, but none are cheap or easy to score. Probably the easiest would be Basiliscus or his wife Zenonis... I know that Ben has posted a Zenonis before... maybe he still has it?
My Collections:
Roman Imperial
http://goccf.com/t/348979
Japan Type set Tokugawa + Modern
http://goccf.com/t/348999
Indo Sassanian
http://goccf.com/t/322087
Learn More...
United States
75094 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2019  4:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I know that Ben has posted a Zenonis before... maybe he still has it?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12511 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2019  9:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
While we are waiting on a coin from the decade of the 470s, here is another Drachm of Valkash that I think dates to AD 484-488:

-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
4180 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2019  2:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ben to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Apologies everyone, I rarely read this thread as it has always been too recent for my collection, but it seems I should have been keeping an eye on it! I did keep my Zenonis, as it happens, but I no longer own a camera capable of taking a good picture of it, so this smudgy photo will have to do.

The coins of Zenonis are much more common than those of Basiliscus - I suspect it is because they are so similar to the coins of Zeno. Basiliscus usurped the throne from Zeno and kicked him out of Constantinople. He was able to do this due to support he held as a member of the imperial dynasty of Leo, while Zeno was seen as a barbarian (and was broadly unpopular anyway). However, Basiliscus proved a poor leader and he only held Constantinople for 20 months before Zeno was able to retake it. He was sent, along with his wife Zenonis and his son Marcus, to Cappadocia where they were all walled into a cistern to die.

While this was all happening, Odovacar was able to depose Romulus Augustus, emperor in the west. With the Eastern empire in turmoil, Zeno was unable to respond in force and so, after more than 1000 years, the Roman empire fell. Rome would be held by the 'Roman Empire' again, briefly, in the 6th century, but from this point on, I consider the east to be Byzantine.

Zenonis, 475-476AD:

I would also like to submit, though late, a coin that may or may not be securely dated to the 480s. I don't think the attribution is solid enough to count for the purposes of this thread, but a scarce few 'Leo' monograms turn up with a clear T built in and some attribute this to Leontius, a usurper against Zeno (second reign). This is supported by very minimal hoard evidence, but there are no examples I know of with a clear obverse legend.

Leontius, 488AD (maybe):
Learn More...
United States
75094 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
1488 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2019  03:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great coin Ben! Worth some fruit.....And a nice little write up I learnt something today...

@ Spence....Nice coin too! Looks to be in nicer condition than mine but the photo is a bit glary
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12511 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2019  06:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice work @ben and now we can move back to the decade of the 460s! I'm hoping that @tzetz13 is still around to re-post that Anthemius.

As to my picture-taking capabilities, yes I still struggle with shiny silver. Perhaps it is time to upgrade my camera set-up...
-----King Adz
Page: of 62 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 2.09 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05