Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1878 P Morgan Identification

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
61 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2015  9:27 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add StoneFree to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hey guys can tell me which VAM this is and if it is a unique one to have. Thanks for the help!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2787 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2015  09:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SeatedNut to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can't ID the VAM from the photos, but I can narrow it down for you ... 7 tail feather, 2nd reverse, short arrow nock, unbroken 'o' in God, complete 'r' in Trust, and unbroken 'D' in 'D' in DOLLAR means it is in the VAM 100-133 group.

P.S. - Something just doesn't look right about the coin, specifically the denticles. I also was suspicious of the 1889 coin you posted. Have you weighed these? They should weigh between 26-27g.
Valued Member
United States
61 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2015  2:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add StoneFree to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
this one weighs 26.56
Valued Member
United States
61 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2015  2:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add StoneFree to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Btw I'm going to take some new pictures so we can hopefully rule out whatever your thinking and I can relax, hopefully lol
Learn More...
United States
23520 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2015  3:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've been looking at both coins for a while and I think my only worries are caused by the camera not being square to the coin. With closeup imagery like this, little distortions are magnified.
Valued Member
United States
61 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2015  3:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add StoneFree to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the replies Dave, I am going to take some different pictures of the coins should I use a white background and take pictures of certain areas of the coin? My camera isn't the best and If I zoom too close or get too close it goes out of focus. I have a few more morgans I want to post and want to make sure I do it right so you guys can properly identify them. thx again
Pillar of the Community
United States
2787 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2015  3:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SeatedNut to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The entire numismatic community is getting extremely paranoid due to the proliferation of Chinese fakes. Ten years ago they were laughable ... today, not so much. Sorry for causing any stress, but I will always attempt to call 'em just like I see 'em.

The litmus test used to be weight, but a recent posting of 1895 Morgan counterfeits that are "fat" now makes further testing necessary.

If you're going to take some close-ups of this one, try to get one of the 'D' in DOLLAR, the 'P' in PLURIBUS, the LIBERTY in the cap band and the eye. Thanks
Valued Member
United States
61 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2015  4:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add StoneFree to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
thx for the feedback seatednut, I added some new pics in a new post. I hope these are better for you to help determine which VAM it is or might be.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2787 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2015  5:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SeatedNut to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
StoneFree,

Since you're relatively new you probably didn't know, but the protocol is to keep all related posts/pictures in the same thread rather than creating new ones. The moderators may combine these or lock one or the other.

Valued Member
United States
61 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2015  5:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add StoneFree to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry I could not figure how to add more pics
Valued Member
United States
61 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2015  5:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add StoneFree to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hey check out the new pics plus I added 2 other coins that I'm trying to figure out. I also have a few more that I will add later and I think I may have found a new VAM on a 1925 P. But I dont want to do too many at one time.
Learn More...
United States
23520 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2015  6:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's the pics from the other thread:

StoneFree, you add pics to a subsequent post the same way you do to the first post in a thread - the clicks are exactly the same. You aren't using the "Quick Reply" block at the bottom, maybe? That doesn't include image options. There's a "Reply to Topic" link above and below each thread page.
Valued Member
United States
61 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2015  6:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add StoneFree to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry Dave I was using quick reply thanks for the heads up. So have you got a chance to take a look at the coins I posted and what Vams do you think I have? thanks
Learn More...
United States
23520 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2015  7:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ain't a big thing. Gotta start learning somewhere.

I've been on my phone most of the day, and haven't had the chance to study these closely on my monitor. None of them grab me as added-value VAMs, most of which are obvious, but any Morgan is worth the extra study.
Valued Member
United States
61 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2015  7:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add StoneFree to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
appreciate it Dave, you've been helping me a good bit since I started posting a few weeks ago. I'll get the hang of it soon I'm sure. I really like this website as its fun and informative. I picked up about 10 morgans from a local collector a few days ago and I've been reading about VAM's the past few days. It looks like I'm going to be looking at every Morgan I get from now on a lot more closely.
Learn More...
United States
23520 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2015  7:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Like most coin varieties, the overwhelming majority of Morgan VAMs are intellectual exercises adding no value to the coin. If there are 5000 VAMs listed, no more than a few hundred carry added value and most of those are grade-dependent.

We still obsess over VAMs, though.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.62 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05