Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Extra Water Line 1964 Canada Nickel - Should I Look?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 4,555Next Topic
Page: of 2
United States
46 Posts
 Posted 01/31/2015  9:06 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add stoogeco to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi everyone! I recently picked up a large load of uncirculated 1964 Canadian nickels. I believe that there are $600 worth of nickels here. Do you guys think I should look for these extra line nickels, or just pass the lot on to someone else who might have more fun with this tedious task. What are the odds of getting these nickels? I'm hoping I'll get some good advice from the forum. Thanks as always for the help!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4767 Posts
 Posted 01/31/2015  9:17 pm  Show Profile   Check thedollarman's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add thedollarman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I say look, if ya find one in ms63 that's $150 CD.
feel free to call me Will. I'm a 20 year old collector from the GTA area of Ontario.

my PMs are always open, whether you have a question or simply wish to talk!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3049 Posts
 Posted 01/31/2015  9:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add AgCoinAu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hrmm I would have to say it depends on if that's something you're "into" or not...

Personally I think it would be need to look at all those nickles to try and find a variety... just to make the find would be an accomplishment in my opinion... however how much of your time is it worth to you?
Forum Kid
Canada
1074 Posts
 Posted 01/31/2015  10:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Vancouver IslandCoinKid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
it is a popular variety, though I do not have one...
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1051 Posts
 Posted 02/01/2015  05:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1cent to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you could find an MS-65 it would certainly be worth it. The XWL dies were pretty toasted though, which makes gem-level examples very tough to come by.
I've searched tens of thousands of nickels in the wild and never come across one, but others here have.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2632 Posts
 Posted 02/01/2015  10:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alexer to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I've searched tens of thousands of nickels

me too over 100,000 But how many where 1964?

If you have a chance to search 12,000 64s I'd say you got a great chance of finding XWL's or Spitting Queen's.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1710 Posts
 Posted 02/01/2015  10:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add papeldog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would check them out maybe a Coinage Axis if your lucky 180 degree
Valued Member
Canada
223 Posts
 Posted 02/01/2015  1:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickle nubber to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If your at all like me and I know I am , I would search them all, but take your time and don't make it a chore. I have found 2 of these in the wild.I find it relaxing to look and sort coins but not at anyone's deadline , take your time , watch a hockey game with some tupperware on your lap and do a few rolls now and then. enjoy
Valued Member
Canada
326 Posts
 Posted 02/01/2015  5:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wazzappenning to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
tedious=reward,(hopefully). I would trade you the tasks as I'mgoing through $3000 of cents. oh what did I do? well I wont be able to get them anymore.
Forum Kid
Canada
1074 Posts
 Posted 02/01/2015  7:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Vancouver IslandCoinKid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
one of my favorite things to do is to go through lots.
Valued Member
Canada
316 Posts
 Posted 02/02/2015  08:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kenney to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I say search them. If they're all uncirculated and you find just one it'll worth it. If you like searching.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4767 Posts
 Posted 02/02/2015  6:55 pm  Show Profile   Check thedollarman's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add thedollarman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1cent, what do you mean the xwl dies were toasted?
feel free to call me Will. I'm a 20 year old collector from the GTA area of Ontario.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
1051 Posts
 Posted 02/03/2015  04:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1cent to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Dollarman, from what I understand the extra "line" on the reverse is the result of a die chip/crack on a worn die, which struck up on coins as a raised line.
I sold my XWL's some time ago, but from what I recall the reverses generally lack sharp detail, which would seem to confirm the state of the (presumably single) XWL reverse die.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
805 Posts
 Posted 02/03/2015  11:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add steve123 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Search....search...search!

If you have something more important to do in the way of coins, then put them away for a while, then pull them back out and search, search, search! LOL
Edited by steve123
02/03/2015 11:28 am
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4767 Posts
 Posted 02/03/2015  11:56 am  Show Profile   Check thedollarman's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add thedollarman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
oh okay, I thought you meant they were struck with dies that were both very old. it just through me off because my lcs has a a cameo example.

Valued Member
108 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2021  11:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 829729742 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
yes, look
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 4,555Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.33 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05