Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Known Only From The Coins. Arseiles C.bc 20.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 3,111Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
5155 Posts
 Posted 02/03/2015  3:31 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Ancientnoob to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have had this coin in my collection for sometime now misattributed. I am part of a Facebook ancient coin discussion group and a gentleman who is published expert in Central Asian and Indian coins informed me that my coin was incorrectly attributed. He informed me based on the Greek legend the coin is not the rare tribal ruler Sapalbizes but rather the even rarer king Arseiles. So the reattribution is as follows.

Yue-Zhi, Yue-Chi Tribal Confederacy
Arseiles
AR hemidrachm c. 20 BCE
14.6 mm x 1.41g
Obverse: Helmeted bust right, Blundered Greek legend: AΡCEIΛHC
Reverse: Lion standing right, tamgha of hill & crescent above
Greek legend right and left: NANAIA
Reference: MAC 2831-32, Senior A4.1.

see wikipedia here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agesiles

see COININDIA
http://coinindia.com/galleries-arseiles.html

I thought it was appropriate to add just a bit of a historical recap to the thread. 月氏 or the Yuezhi, but better known to us as the Kushan. A once destitute and subjugated nomadic people from a land deep in western China. They moved into Central Asia in the latter half of the 1st cent. BC. They destroyed the Greco-Bactrian kingdom that stood for nearly two centuries. They founded the Kushan Empire a super power that would last for the next two centuries, Greek art, language and numismatic themes remained popular culture in the era of the Kushan.

Learn More...
United States
22983 Posts
 Posted 02/03/2015  3:59 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice to finally find how it really was. Nice coin.
Learn More...
United States
16357 Posts
 Posted 02/03/2015  4:57 pm  Show Profile   Check vermontensium's eBay Listings Check vermontensium's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add vermontensium to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is a neat coin!
ANA LM1214396
U.S. Colonial and Large Cent fanatic.
Pillar of the Community
3772 Posts
 Posted 02/03/2015  5:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Medieval to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congrats on finally knowing what you really got.
Pillar of the Community
1106 Posts
 Posted 02/03/2015  5:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Topcat7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Great coin, A.N.
Edited by Topcat7
02/03/2015 5:22 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
4738 Posts
 Posted 02/03/2015  7:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chrsmat71 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
cool coin indeed AN, I remember that one.
Pillar of the Community
United States
513 Posts
 Posted 02/03/2015  8:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chuy1530 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very very cool. You should upload your picture to the article!
Pillar of the Community
Netherlands
1204 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2015  4:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dutchgulden to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice!
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 3,111Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.56 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05