Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

25¢ 2014 "Doubled Die"

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4697 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2015  8:11 pm  Show Profile   Check thedollarman's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add thedollarman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The coin is Machine Doubling, if it were a double die or even a regular strike for that matter than the devices would be of Norman(for standard) or wider(for a double die) the coin presented has thinner elements where doubling is shown which means that it is without a doubt a machine doubled coin!. The only way a doubled die can occur and have thinner devices is if the design/writing is incused which is not the case with this coin.
feel free to call me Will. I'm a 19 year old collector from the GTA area of Ontario.

my PMs are always open, whether you have a question or simply wish to talk.
Edited by thedollarman
02/18/2015 8:12 pm
Learn More...
United States
23520 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2015  8:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This has been brought to my attention, and I can't honestly tell you I'm sure what I'm looking at. It presents the classic form of shelving associated with Machine Doubling, yet in far greater strength than you'd expect. MD is rarely that strong. Yet there's nothing whatsoever that looks to me like die doubling, either. When die doubling is so perfectly aligned that all the doubles show absolutely zero offset - rare indeed - it just doesn't get this strong.

Have a look at how the light is playing on the doubling features. First, to illustrate the depth of the shelf but second to note those spots of light at some of the corners. Those are raised points. How do they come to be?

Interesting.
Valued Member
Canada
126 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2015  10:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numidan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
the coin presented has thinner elements

Here is a montage of Pierre V's picture and a regular 2014 quarter.
This is the best I came up. The red outline is that of the normal coin. I am convinced that the elements are not thinner but of the same size and thus a double die. Anyways, I will keep my eyes out for this one and report back with better pictures.

Edited by numidan
02/18/2015 10:24 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2632 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2015  12:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alexer to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I too see nothing that would indicate DD. This coin looks like it took a bounce to one side either through ejection doubling or maybe 'push doubling' which is often mistaken for DD. You can read about PD at error-ref.com. If it was DD then a lot more of them are out there somewhere, you'd think we be finding more of them by now... just my opinion
Valued Member
Canada
126 Posts
 Posted 03/02/2015  5:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numidan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
After just 20 rolls of circulated quarter, I found one.

Here are the pictures I have promised. Same magnification and lighting was used to obtain both images in the montage. The other pictures shows different sections around the coin.

Your verdict ...

Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.88 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05