Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

I Need Your Comments On An Image

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 1,314Next Topic  

Greece
39 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2015  6:43 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Nickos to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi everybody. After reading and practicing for sometime, I want your opinion about my photo. This is a picture from a coin slabbed by NGC. The picture is taken after the coin was slabbed.

Valued Member
United States
118 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2015  6:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Connicoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice pix...wondering what you used? I had horrible luck with camera, so invested in microscope. Good job and welcome to CCF.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3266 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2015  7:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rmpsrpms to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the forum! Overall the pic is very good. A couple things I'd look into:

1) The coin is rotated slightly to the left. Composition is the first thing to start with.
2) Is the slightly green and red coloration in the coin itself? Soldier's legs are reddish, while chest and right arm are greenish. This could be an artifact of your lens if it is not a characteristic of the coin itself
3) Your lighting appears to be very diffuse. This has suppressed most of the luster of the coin, but the coin may have a satiny finish and little luster anyway. Is this the case, or is this a lustrous coin?
4) Looks like you were very, very careful about your lighting angles to get shadows and highlights just right. You can see this especially on the soldier's face and on the general look of the coin. Very well done.
Contact me for photographic equipment or visit my home page at:
http://macrocoins.com
Pillar of the Community
United States
3266 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2015  7:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rmpsrpms to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
After looking at the pic a bit longer, I realized it was fairly "bright" and contrast was not very high. A small amount of adjustment made it look a bit better IMO without changing the overall excellent composition. Here is the result:

I also wanted to make sure I was right about the coloration so I enhanced the saturation to show the effects. Here it is:

Contact me for photographic equipment or visit my home page at:
http://macrocoins.com
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1822 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2015  7:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rocky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
very nice wow rpmrpm you have a great skill . I like when I see a picture of a coin . that it is as close to what it is in real appearance. lovely coins
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5828 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2015  7:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ChildOfTheWheat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To CCF!
Since you need a comment: Comment
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6825 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2015  8:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice photos ...

I wish you would lose the ALL CAPS in your thread title ... this is the internet version of shouting and considered by many folks (me included) to be rude.

David
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Pillar of the Community
United States
587 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2015  9:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Groszy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
And I believe "comments" is the wrong word, when you're looking for "opinions".

The question becomes, is it toned as rmpsrpms came up with, or not? If it is, the toning would look beautiful.
Greece
39 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2015  5:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nickos to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all for your opinion. (not comments and thank you). I noticed capital letters later, but I could not correct it.

The coin has a really satin surface, it is an MS67. The colors are reflections of the coin and yes I used some diffusion.

It was shot with a Canon 700D, and the lens is Canon 100L f 2.8. Shutter speed 100, ISO 100, f8.0. I used two halogen par30 75W bulbs at 10:00 and 2:00 o'clock, very close to the lens.

Thank you very much all for your recommendations.
Greece
39 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2015  6:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nickos to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is another photo. f/8.0 shutter 1/160 iso 100.
The colors/patina of the coin are true. This is an MS62 PCGS.
I tilted the coin a little to capture the patina and luster.

Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 1,314Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.59 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05