Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Silver Coin ID Help

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
19 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2015  3:51 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Tipton444 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hey everyone, this forum has been a lot of help to me in the past, and I recently came across another old silver coin that I don't know anything about. Can anyone help me identify it? Or the age and region? Thanks!

Learn More...
United States
22887 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2015  4:16 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Could you take a clearer picture and not on an angle? The only thing I can say from these pictures is the coin is Sassanian and appears to be Khurso II.
Learn More...
United States
22887 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2015  6:27 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've fixed your images a bit, Still could use some clearer one to read the date and mint mark.

Here is one from my collection to compare with yours.

United States
19 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2015  6:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tipton444 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oh wow thank you very much Echizento! I was actually pretty embarrassed of the pictures I did take, but it was tough with the light and didn't want to take it out of the casing. So thankful for your help, pretty neat!! Your coin looks great. I'll take some new pictures asap and post them to see if we can figure out the date and mint. Really appreciate your help!
Pillar of the Community
United States
5155 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2015  7:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ancientnoob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I believe the coin is indeed Khusro II Shah of Persia. AD 590-628. The bust is distorted due to die and lack of metal issues but that is quite typical. The coin seems pleasantly sharp in areas.

United States
19 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2015  11:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tipton444 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very cool! I couldn't even make out what the design was supposed to be, but now I totally see it with the help of your pictures. Thank you guys. Is this a common coin? I'm trying to decide if I should add it to the collection or throw it on ebay.
Learn More...
United States
22887 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2015  1:58 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's not a rare coin. They are not really collected by most ancient coin collector that prefer the classical Greek and Roman types. These are Eastern empire types that have been overlook up until recently. Khurso II is one of the most common type from this empire so prices are less than some of the earlier rulers. Look up Sassanian empire on the web and read about this empire, it's really interesting.
Pillar of the Community
United States
513 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2015  2:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chuy1530 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It probably won't get a lot on eBay so I'd leave it in my collection if it were me.
United States
19 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2015  8:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tipton444 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's what I will do, thanks guys. Incredibly interesting, and makes sense for collectors. I'm definitely going to be looking up the Sassanian empire :))
Learn More...
United States
22887 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2015  8:40 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a link about the empire you might enjoy reading. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sasanian_Empire
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.53 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05