Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

For What Value Coins Does CAC Submission "Make Sense"?

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
228 Posts
 Posted 03/18/2015  9:43 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Phaedrus29 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I've recently had some coins graded at NGC, and I'm wondering which of them "should" be sent to CAC. For purely financial considerations and when planning to sell, at what value would CAC be worthwhile?

Alternatively, would you ever want to send a coin to CAC when you're not really planning to sell (any time soon), and just want to keep it in your collection? If so, at what value would it just be silly?

Presumably, a $20 coin obviously shouldn't be sent to CAC, and a $10k coin obviously should, but ROUGHLY where do you draw the line?
Learn More...
United States
23520 Posts
 Posted 03/18/2015  10:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Second question first: don't sticker a long-term hold. Who knows what the new hotness will be then?

First question is more malleable. Never thought about it, but $250 is the number that hits me first. More attention paid to NGC slabs in an issue where prior results indicate a clear PCGS Premium.

Stipulating, of course, that the coin is worthy of a bean.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
29506 Posts
 Posted 03/19/2015  08:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you CAC it now it might cost less to do so then say ten years from now.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Learn More...
United States
77253 Posts
 Posted 03/19/2015  11:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Most who know me know that I have never sold a coin.

That being said, I would neither slab not CAC a coin unless I was ready to sell.
Valued Member
United States
228 Posts
 Posted 03/19/2015  6:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Phaedrus29 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
don't sticker a long-term hold. Who knows what the new hotness will be then?
True, but who knows what sort of premium that ancient CAC sticker might command many years from now. It seems like it couldn't hurt.

Quote:
$250 is the number that hits me first
The folks at Heritage seem to be suggesting that CAC doesn't make sense for coins valued under $1000.
Edited by Phaedrus29
03/19/2015 6:20 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2805 Posts
 Posted 03/19/2015  6:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nalaberong to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
True, but who knows what sort of premium that ancient CAC sticker might command many years from now.

Depends how good they get at making shiny fake stickers in the future. I would steer clear.
Learn More...
United States
23520 Posts
 Posted 03/19/2015  6:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The market currently thinks CAC is their daddy. It's a good time to have a $40 coin with a bean, much less a $1k one. I guess the label won't hurt - the people behind CAC will be legends in the hobby for all time to come so your point about cachet is a good one.
Learn More...
United States
77253 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2015  09:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Depends how good they get at making shiny fake stickers in the future.
True. They seem to be getting better at faking the slabs now.

It should be clear there are no guarantees, no absolute right or wrong thing. If there were there would be no discussion, only immediate action.

Anything you do (or not do) is going to be a gamble, which is why I do not invest in coins. I prefer to just enjoy them as they are.
Valued Member
United States
228 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2015  12:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Phaedrus29 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Any other opinions on when it makes financial sense to send a coin to CAC for the purposes of selling? The folks at Heritage have suggested the coin should be worth $1000+ which seems high, and SD's first inclination was $250+. That's a bit of a gap between the two suggestions. Any other thoughts?
Pillar of the Community
United States
7385 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2015  10:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cascade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ive heard that if the price jump to the next grade is significant you should try to get a bean on it for sure...

-another question... when do u guys think cac will start offering member subscriptions again? Id rather do it myself personally than go third party
Valued Member
United States
228 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2015  12:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Phaedrus29 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Ive heard that if the price jump to the next grade is significant you should try to get a bean on it for sure.
This advice makes a lot of sense, thanks. As someone unexperienced with coins, I do have difficulty interpreting terms like "significant", although I recognize it is tough to pinpoint exact numbers. Here is a coin that certainly looks like a borderline or perhaps a non-CAC case, but I'm not sure. I have a 1928 Standing Liberty quarter NGC graded MS64. I haven't studied the actual auction results yet, but numismedia lists $350 for an MS64 and $500 for an MS65. Would you send this one to CAC? Is this coin valuable enough where it is likely to make enough of a difference, and is that price difference between MS64 and MS65 "significant"? Thanks!
Learn More...
United States
23520 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2015  2:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The question begged is, "Will this one bean?" That's it. Any coin worth slabbing in the first place will instantly more than compensate for the cost of the bean in this market. Every single one.

If it beans, and that's the important question.
Valued Member
United States
228 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2015  2:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Phaedrus29 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The question begged is, "Will this one bean?"
All my coins are beautiful and the best of the best and will obviously bean.
Pillar of the Community
United States
589 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2015  4:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add johntookit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
This advice makes a lot of sense, thanks. As someone unexperienced with coins, I do have difficulty interpreting terms like "significant", although I recognize it is tough to pinpoint exact numbers. Here is a coin that certainly looks like a borderline or perhaps a non-CAC case, but I'm not sure. I have a 1928 Standing Liberty quarter NGC graded MS64. I haven't studied the actual auction results yet, but numismedia lists $350 for an MS64 and $500 for an MS65. Would you send this one to CAC? Is this coin valuable enough where it is likely to make enough of a difference, and is that price difference between MS64 and MS65 "significant"? Thanks!

Using this example: MS63 $250,MS64 $350 and MS65 $500
Someone who looks down on NGC over PCGS, may not value the coin as a MS64 without the bean and may bid as if it was a MS63.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3253 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2015  5:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add matthewvincent to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lately I have been looking at auctions from the big-name Houses.
All in plastic. Some with CAC stickers. Those latter I have examined.
And I am shocked to see coins with which I am familiar (and possess a few in an Dansco album) bearing an "exceptional for the grade [CAC]" label. The CAC coins look ... worse than mine.

This will sound crass, but those who know coins do not need a sticker to be told that a given coin, slabbed or not, is a cut above the rest. If YOU think that your coins will 'bean' then what reason is there to 'bean?'

Reassurance is something that we all crave. The only reassurance worth anything
comes from one's own confidence and experience. And THAT reassurance does not change
according to the current standard or flavor of the day. It comes from Education.

(I heard that on an Internet coin group somewhere.)
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9200 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2015  5:46 pm  Show Profile   Check BH1964's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BH1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Any other opinions on when it makes financial sense to send a coin to CAC for the purposes of selling? The folks at Heritage have suggested the coin should be worth $1000+ which seems high, and SD's first inclination was $250+. That's a bit of a gap between the two suggestions. Any other thoughts?

Assuming you're paying $12.50/stickered coin (Collector Rate) then I'd go with the $250 minimum value. Heritage is a big dog with ideas different from Joe Average Collector. It does depend on the coin as well though.
ANA #R3154474
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.95 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05