Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Coins Always Look Whizzed

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 1,502Next Topic  
United States
15 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2015  08:42 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add DatCoinDude to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
For some reason my cameras lighting makes the coin always look cleaned. Faint hairlines turn into harshly cleaned lines.

I believe it is a lighting issue. I even got a lightbox, but still no improvement. Any advice?
Learn More...
United States
23521 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2015  08:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, I only have the Barber quarter you've posted to evaluate your work, and I don't see much wrong with those images. Professional? No. Good enough to work with? Yup.

Those hairlines are from circulation. That coin hasn't been cleaned. It isn't your equipment. The people who posted that haven't yet learned to evaluate digital imaging, which is an entirely additional skill to grading. Digital photography emphasizes every single mark on a coin, exaggerating everything. You have to learn to factor that into your interpretation.

With all that said, I bet we can help you get better at it.

What are you using for camera equipment and lighting?
Pillar of the Community
United States
4735 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2015  11:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1474 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2015  4:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dar to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
United States
15 Posts
 Posted 03/22/2015  11:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DatCoinDude to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
http://goccf.com/t/215732

Some photos.

First two are with my fancy $300 camera. Second two are with my cell phone. I am not home right now to take some inside my photo tent.
Valued Member
United States
380 Posts
 Posted 03/23/2015  08:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add morgandude to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I will now be posting under this account. It is a long story, so I will not elaborate on why, it just has to do with me being a YN.
Learn More...
United States
23521 Posts
 Posted 03/23/2015  09:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hey, you figured out who you were!

No big thing. Isn't the first time it's happened. However, we prefer people have only one user account so I'm going to lock the new one.
Valued Member
United States
380 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2015  5:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add morgandude to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, lol. What do you think my problem is?
Learn More...
United States
23521 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2015  5:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I hope you mean the photography.

Jury's out on that. I like the use of both cameras when you don't have big-dollar equipment. It shows the coin in two entirely different lights. The guys who think it's cleaned may be right.

More pics, though.
Valued Member
United States
380 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2015  5:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add morgandude to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, the photography. Do you want more pics of the Barber quarter?
Pillar of the Community
United States
3266 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2015  10:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rmpsrpms to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes. Try shooting with different angles to the lighting. It may be the lighting angle that is making the hairlines look worse than they do in-hand.
Contact me for photographic equipment or visit my home page at:
http://macrocoins.com
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 1,502Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.58 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05