Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Help Taking Photos Of Commemorative Proof Sets.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 2 / Views: 1,188Next Topic  
United States
23 Posts
 Posted 04/03/2015  12:44 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Gilron to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'm starting to sell a load of commems my wife inherited on ebay to aid in some hard times. and I'm taking pictures with so so results. On old 5 MP Easyshare camera doesn't cut it. 4G ipod camera, no. All of these coins are proof sets. Anyone have any tips on an inexpensive camera that may get the job done, one with wifi. do you think I need to take extreme close ups. I'm hoping to keep a portion of these sets to continue my interest in coin collecting.
CCF Sponsor
United States
702 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2015  02:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Scropper to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What's wrong with the pictures from your existing cameras?

My experience is that the camera doesn't matter much, so long as the rest of the set up is right.

As for extreme close-ups, I'd say no. If you take a nice, clear, bright, in-focus picture of each coin, both sides, that will be more than enough. There is no need for macro on a commem set, they should all grade 68 or 69 so the only thing you'll be doing with extreme close-ups is showing off the tiny flaws you can probably hardly see in-hand. Just be honest with the pictures, that's the best you can hope for. Too much honesty (which I try hard to achieve with my photographs, honestly) probably won't help the sale.
Learn More...
United States
23521 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2015  10:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, but he's not looking for those closeups to sell but for his own collecting interests.

Gilron, it's unlikely anything "inexpensive" will do all of that unless "inexpensive" to you can mean "up to $500." Spend that much, and we'll make you as good a photographer as anyone here.

It's quite possible you aren't getting everything your Kodak is capable of giving you. It won't do the macro work, but chances are we can help you maximize its' potential. If that works, an inexpensive (under $100) Celestron digital microscope or something of that sort can possibly meet the macro requirement.

Let's work with what you've got first. Can you mention the actual model so I can see what it's capable of? Maybe a pic or two here, also, so we can see where improvement is needed.
  Previous TopicReplies: 2 / Views: 1,188Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05