Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Why Is My Coin So Popular?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
1892 Posts
 Posted 04/04/2015  2:19 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Mister Kairu to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I bought this as part of a silver/proof set I boight for $27 (that a few saw I posted) and now just this proof Franklin is going for $26 with a day left? Is there something I am missing?

Pillar of the Community
United States
807 Posts
 Posted 04/04/2015  2:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add brenpickle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
People probably think it is cameo, and outside of the early proof dates of 1950-1955 this date is the hardest to get in cameo. They did not rework the master die till 1960, so the master die had 10 years of use by the time these were being made, so the working dies could not be pickled for very long or else to much detail would be lost. The pickling is what caused the die to produce the cameo effect that is desired today. Anyone correct me if I am wrong on any of my information.
Edited by brenpickle
04/04/2015 2:43 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3411 Posts
 Posted 04/04/2015  2:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KenKat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree - this coin looks like it has a cameo obverse especially - cameo meaning the raised devices have a frosted appearance. Hard to find on Franklins so it commands a premium. My Franklin in my 7070 album does not have that level of contrast.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1892 Posts
 Posted 04/04/2015  2:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mister Kairu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ah I see... And that was just the angle of the picture I took I didnt think too far into it. Yes it could look cameo but I don't think it is... If you can make it look cameo at a certain angle does that mean it is cameo?
Pillar of the Community
United States
3415 Posts
 Posted 04/04/2015  3:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It appears as if it may have cameo qualities. Unable to tell from your pics. 1959 is a tougher date to find in high grade CAM.
Compare to mine.
https://coins.www.collectors-societ...inID=1060169
Pillar of the Community
United States
1892 Posts
 Posted 04/04/2015  3:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mister Kairu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Huh that's pretty cool! That makes that $27 dollar deal even better if one coin pays for it all! Thanks for your help!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2543 Posts
 Posted 04/04/2015  6:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add denco7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
That makes that $27 dollar deal even better if one coin pays for it all!

Yes, but soon you won't have the nicest/rarest coin in the set. Unless it was a purely money making venture from the start.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3415 Posts
 Posted 04/04/2015  7:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If it really is a high-end PF-CAM it's worth hundreds of dollars. Bidders are probably taking a gamble on that.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1892 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2015  01:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mister Kairu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah I bought the 7 coin silver set just for the proof Kennedy that I found out was a silver proof Kennedy and was going to sell the rest. I upgraded my Franklin half with a nicer looking proof (although def not cameo) from the lot and sold this one. So unfortunately I will have a more eye appealing franklin but not the more expensive one. Lesson learned to keep my eyes out for those cameo coins. But if this goes for a little bit more I will be able to buy a couple more silver proof Kennedys for my set :)
Pillar of the Community
United States
1892 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2015  01:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mister Kairu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So I will admit I wish I could have kept this one but also if it can help me get other coins I need that too makes me happy in the end. Either way this coin and 6 other silver proofs for $27 was probably the best deal I have ever gotten thus far!
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
16344 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2015  02:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Correct me if I am wrong:
These days for currently produced proofs, for "pickling", substitute "laser etching".
Pillar of the Community
United States
807 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2015  12:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add brenpickle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Correct me if I am wrong:
These days for currently produced proofs, for "pickling", substitute "laser etching".

I knew they didn't pickle them anymore, but knew at the time that is what they did. Thanks for pointing out that it is laser etching now.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.73 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05