Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1901 Barber Quarter- You Vs. PCGS - Grade Revealed (Unc Details).

Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar of the Community
United States
3630 Posts
 Posted 04/24/2015  12:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ExoGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Love the toning but MS-62.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4871 Posts
 Posted 04/24/2015  12:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHuntingDrew to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Why isn't there an S mint mark on this one?
Valued Member
United States
467 Posts
 Posted 04/24/2015  12:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oober to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree with many other MS62.
Valued Member
United States
238 Posts
 Posted 04/24/2015  07:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rycolemet to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A very nice MS-62
Pillar of the Community
United States
2787 Posts
 Posted 04/24/2015  11:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SeatedNut to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I hope I'm way under-grading, but AU58 for me.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1742 Posts
 Posted 04/24/2015  2:58 pm  Show Profile   Check jdmern's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jdmern to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, here's the answer...

This one was a raw purchase from a show back in March, and I took a bath on it- I thought worst case scenario, AU58, but more than likely a 63... UNC Details Questionable Color?

I'm sure some of you have noticed from my previous posts, I am a big fan of PCGS, but this one mystified me... The rest of the submissions on the same form were equally baffling, a couple that were overgraded by a couple of points, color designations that made me scratch my head, extremely odd...

The crazy thing is that raw, I would buy this coin 100 out of 100 times

I've got a pretty large batch to send out to get graded, but I think I may hold off for a bit, see if this kind of grading becomes a trend...
Learn More...
United States
16356 Posts
 Posted 04/24/2015  3:23 pm  Show Profile   Check vermontensium's eBay Listings Check vermontensium's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add vermontensium to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I saw the obverse toning, the gun blue, and figured they would do this. I honestly was not 100% sure the toning was genuine.
Beautiful coin regardless!
ANA LM1214396
U.S. Colonial and Large Cent fanatic.
Valued Member
United States
194 Posts
 Posted 04/24/2015  3:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GoldenIslesCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice coin i'll say a Ms62+
Valued Member
United States
194 Posts
 Posted 04/24/2015  3:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GoldenIslesCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
wow I had it Unc all day long. I disagree with the tone, it's fine by me. They just can't be too sure. I think it's just fine and Not messed with.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1742 Posts
 Posted 04/24/2015  3:34 pm  Show Profile   Check jdmern's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jdmern to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Vemontensium, I honestly didn't even cross my mind with this coin, I've got a few (some of my favorites) in my collection with that same deep blue into purple toning on silver...

Also, is it possible to update the title of the thread to show grade posted?
Learn More...
United States
16356 Posts
 Posted 04/24/2015  3:37 pm  Show Profile   Check vermontensium's eBay Listings Check vermontensium's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add vermontensium to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You bet.
ANA LM1214396
U.S. Colonial and Large Cent fanatic.
Valued Member
United States
183 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2015  01:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jake the Dog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe a candidate for breaking it out and submitting to NGC?
Pillar of the Community
United States
5053 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2015  10:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jack jeckel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's unfortunate about the "questionable color" but since PCGS offers their buyback guarantee (but doesn't actually payout as is the case on that 1916 SLQ that has been posted here in the past) they have to cover themselves so if they have even the slightest doubt they just call foul because who are you going to complain or escalate your objection to their decision to?
Pillar of the Community
United States
7387 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2015  10:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cascade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, didn't call that one. I'd shoot it to anacs either cracked or in slab. Or NGC if youre a member. This definitely deserves a second opinion
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1742 Posts
 Posted 04/26/2015  09:00 am  Show Profile   Check jdmern's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jdmern to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Wow, didn't call that one. I'd shoot it to anacs either cracked or in slab. Or NGC if youre a member. This definitely deserves a second opinion

I think I am going to cut my losses on this one, one thing I try not to do is throw good money after bad... I personally don't do much U.S. anyway, this one was more of type coin that I loved the toning on, and would more than likely just hold, but as a details coin, not worth holding for long term...

I believe you can submit to NGC as long as you are an ANA member, correct?

I have not ruled out sending my next large batch to NGC...
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.89 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05