Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Newfoundland 1900 50c "No" Counterstamp

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
1705 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2015  01:27 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add koinpro to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I showed an 1881 some time back. Here is one on a 1900.
Excerpt form my August 2009 World Coin News column:
In the last installment of this column one of the items I highlighted was neither an error or variety but one that I found interesting anyway. It was a Newfoundland 1881 50 cent piece that had the initials "NO" counter-stamped below the bust of Queen Victoria. I asked the question: "does anybody know what the "NO" stands for?"
In fact, I received three responses so far. The first came in from J. C. Levisque who said: "Though I don't have any info on the Newfoundland half you featured recently with the "NO" logotype counter-stamp, I thought I'd share with you another date that I've had for years. Probably a merchant or individual in Newfoundland counter-stamped these, but for what reason? Maybe he was curious to see if a spent coin would eventually return to him." Levisque sent images of a Newfoundland half-dollar dated 1900 with the initials NO counter-stamped in approximately the same location as on the 1881 I featured. Both are shown here.
Jay M. Galst, MD said, "The "NO" countermark on Newfoundland silver is an advertising countermark of Nicholas Ohman, a jeweler-optician in St. John, Newfoundland. This was probably his hallmark. It is described on page 29 of Brunk's Merchant and Privately Countermarked Coins, published in 2003 by World Exonumia Press."
Greg Capps said, "Tonight I was at the local bookstore with my family and I read the article you penned in World Coin News where you were asking if anyone knew the "NO" countermark on a 1881 Newfoundland Half Dollar you pictured. The mark is that of Nicholas Ohman from St. John, Newfoundland and it is a fairly popular counterstamp. Brunk gives a nice write up in his tome on p. 29."
So there you have it, the mystery is solved!

Pillar of the Community
Canada
1403 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2015  02:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add canadian-varieties to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for this.
I collect these avidly and would love to put together the whole set one day...

Pillar of the Community
United States
1705 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2015  12:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add koinpro to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
canadian-varieties,
You are welcome!
Ken
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4190 Posts
 Posted 10/31/2017  7:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chequer to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thought this was worth posting in the zombie thread since it adds and amends some information:

https://gbellauctions.wordpress.com...-nils-ohman/
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1403 Posts
 Posted 11/01/2017  04:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add canadian-varieties to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I still own the 1906 Large Cent NO Countermark.
Valued Member
Canada
199 Posts
 Posted 11/01/2017  08:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rockfish to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very interesting. glad this got resurrected, though I should point out that it is St. John's, Newfoundland. Saint John is in New Brunswick.
Learn More...
Canada
8560 Posts
 Posted 11/02/2017  12:03 am  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome back chequer... we missed you here!!
"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3049 Posts
 Posted 11/02/2017  12:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add AgCoinAu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That was a great read chequer... Thanks for sharing
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1295 Posts
 Posted 11/02/2017  10:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's fascinating, I want a Newfie half with no couterstamp!!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.73 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05