Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Lincoln Needs A Tissue, 2015 Proof Struck With Debris?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
675 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2015  10:01 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add gymcoachdon to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I was breaking a 2015 Silver proof set up, and thought I would take some pics of the proof cent using only available light as a photography exercise. I snapped a few pics, and noticed some lint, but after closer examination, the coin was struck with what might be a cotton fiber? Any way, I'm sure this isn't too uncommon, however the placement was embarrassing for a man of Lincoln's stature. What do you guys think?

I apologize in advance for the soft focus on the full picture, close up was taken with M5 microscope objective and some LED lighting.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
15935 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2015  10:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks to be RAISED, most likely a die scratch/die damage.
Lincoln Cent Lover!
Pillar of the Community
United States
5827 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2015  10:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ChildOfTheWheat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bless you.
with BadThad
Pillar of the Community
United States
3454 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2015  11:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cwb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Interesting, don't see too many proofs that are struck through debris.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6427 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2015  12:37 pm  Show Profile   Check SilverStackerKid's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SilverStackerKid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yours looks like a die scratch. I think this because of the way it matches with the rest of the coin. I found this struck through retrained clothe on a 2009 proof State Quarter,

Pillar of the Community
United States
1474 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2015  12:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dar to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Interesting, don't see too many proofs that are struck through debris.

It has been happening more and more lately. I sent back 5 sets of MOD because of this.
Edited by Dar
06/04/2015 12:51 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
675 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2015  1:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gymcoachdon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So a die scratch would create a raised portion on the coin, and striking with debris would leave a depression in the coin, correct? I took another picture, with only one light. Light enters from the right of the picture as you look at it. The nose reflects light hitting the raised surface, illuminating the right of the device. The debris mark is illuminated on the left side. Indicates to me that it is depressed or incuse, and the light is reflecting off the upward arc of the depression. Is my logic flawed?

Bedrock of the Community
United States
15935 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2015  3:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Take a loupe and look at it from the side, nearly flat to the surface, should be easy to see if it's raised.
Lincoln Cent Lover!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1132 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2015  3:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CopperCastle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't know, but this coin is hilarious.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3454 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2015  3:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cwb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I have this one with raised bubbles. I guess quality control isn't what it used to be.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1315 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2015  10:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bret to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Earlier this year I sent back a silver proof set that had a quarter with the same problem. The problem would have easily been found if someone had actually looked at the coin. Very poor QC, especially for a set that costs $54.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05