Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1893 With Unknown Damage

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Canada
28 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2015  10:19 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add graval to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I bought this 1893 primarily for the die breaks as seen in pic 1 in yellow enclosures. Pic 2 is a closer view of a ''damage'' that does not impede on the ridge of the nose. This area is supposed to be die clash free so I don't think it is a clash mark.

Pic 3 and 4 are close-ups of the damage showing a symmetrical form and depth. Die clash is usually shallow. The nature of the damage leaves me to believe it is not ''post mint damage'' while in circulation (too precise). This only leave the options of the damage occurring in raising the die or in the coin handling before in the Mint.

Does anyone have this coin with or without the damage? It would help defining the nature of the damage. Thanks.

Canada
28 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2015  10:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add graval to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pic 4 did not take in the initial submission.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
767 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2015  10:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hounddog Bill to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi graval, I'm not sure if it's the same but here's a picture of an 1888 supplied by gidgit in an earlier thread it shows a great clash on the bridge of the nose.

https://www.coincommunity.com/forum...8376_opt.jpg
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2821 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2015  1:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looka like a 3 or an 8
Learn More...
Canada
8924 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2015  2:11 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like it could be a "dropped letter" error... probably after the third or greater strike with the letter on the die (because it is not super-sharp)...

Read the definition of "Struck through dropped filling" here: http://hermes.csd.net/~coneca/conte...lossary.html

"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4697 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2015  4:18 pm  Show Profile   Check thedollarman's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add thedollarman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
mis aligned die clash of the denticles?
feel free to call me Will. I'm a 19 year old collector from the GTA area of Ontario.

my PMs are always open, whether you have a question or simply wish to talk.
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
1465 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2015  5:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fourmack to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It has the look of rim decals
Cheers Don

Vickies cents and GB Farthings nut.
"Old" is a figure of speech and nothing more
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4697 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2015  5:38 pm  Show Profile   Check thedollarman's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add thedollarman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
SPP-OTTAWA! 5000TH POST
feel free to call me Will. I'm a 19 year old collector from the GTA area of Ontario.

Pillar of the Community
United States
4208 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2015  6:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fioti to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2821 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2015  6:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You should have a few brews with him and see how he talks there as well.
Canada
28 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2015  9:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add graval to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Roger: never in my wildest dream would I have thought of a ''struck through filling'' scenario. I cannot visualise the scenario since the damage is in relief while the definition mentions an incused effect.

Fourmack: I like your idea of a rim denticle segment but if filling was at play, I think we should only get a series of rectangles.

Okiecoiner: It may be a T from the legends but I am not sure about it due to the repeating pattern of the damage.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
933 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2015  10:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pennysaver to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 1963 pennies can be found with a similar effect now and then -- it was the first thing I thought of as well. I'm going with fourmack on this one. Either that or something random dropped on the die.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2632 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2015  11:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alexer to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree it does appear similar to that of the 1963, its one of the first things I thought it might be too but its a tough call between that and a dropped bit of debris. hhmmm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4697 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2015  08:20 am  Show Profile   Check thedollarman's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add thedollarman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
simple way to help prove it is a MAD clash of the denticles......search till you find another example

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.69 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05