Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Transit Token Collectors/Government Tokens - Post Yours

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 15
Valued Member
United States
443 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2019  3:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jeffbuckes to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's a mix from Atlanta, Georgia's MARTA.

The token on the left is a plain Jane copper token from about 2000. The 5 ugly brass tokens on the right are a few years older. Not sure what happened to them. They're dogs and I almost tossed them in the bin, but I'm sure someone will clean them up. MARTA switched to cards about 10 years ago so these tokens are now obsolete.

Valued Member
United States
443 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2019  4:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jeffbuckes to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's the last two for today...

1 - a bimetallic transit token from Minneapolis /St Paul, Minnesota.

Metro transit still accepts tokens BUT they only sell them to non-profit agencies. Those agencies give or re-sell the tokens (discounted) to homeless people, or people who need them to get to work or school.

See: https://www.metrotransit.org/non-profit

1 - Titletown USA from Green Bay Transit

That design is the outline of Wisconsin around a football. These guys have won more championships than you might expect from a small city so I don't mind the nickname. Not sure what Tom Brady thinks of that though?

See: https://www.packers.com/history/cha...ship-seasons

PS: this is one of the few cities in the US that I've never been to. All of the other tokens I posted are from places I've been!

Valued Member
United States
443 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2019  4:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jeffbuckes to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Last pic of the day - here's all 42 transit tokens that I just posted. I had to resize the pic to fit on here (300kb!) so sorry if it's blurry. These are all my doubles that I'm going to post for sale sooner than later.

Learn More...
United States
78272 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
3985 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2019  07:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scopru to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice to see them all together.
ANA member: 3178122
NTCA member: 10118
Valued Member
United States
443 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2019  08:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jeffbuckes to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I really like the slotted transit tokens. The Mobile, Alabama token is fun, and the design was used by many other agencies like Terra Haute Indiana, Canton Ohio, Sheboygan Wisconsin, etc. I thought about building a set just with those cities. I assume they were produced by the same mill. They remind me of a different era. Some of the more recent designs are fine (again, the LA token with the skyline and palm trees) but now it's all metro cards and tickets. I know some people collect them (not me), but it's like collecting phone cards. Not for me!
Edited by jeffbuckes
10/15/2019 11:24 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3985 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2019  08:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scopru to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are varieties on the design of the bus as well. I have a collection of transit tokens that I periodically add. The older tokens are certainly a reminder of a different time.
ANA member: 3178122
NTCA member: 10118
Page: of 15 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.03 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05