Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

specimen coin mintage  

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
1356 Posts
 Posted 06/05/2018  6:47 pm  Show Profile   Check gidjit's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add gidjit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
but the idea of missing out on a rare variety

if you post clear photos that can be enlarged on eBay we wont miss any varieties lol
the coin will sell itself
there are few of us that have a passion for collecting vickys some already posting in this thread.
i too would be intersted in them as well
please check out my collection of large cents from 1858 - 1920 (under construction)
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/...l=4b87156114
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4544 Posts
 Posted 06/05/2018  7:25 pm  Show Profile   Check thedollarman's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add thedollarman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
regarding the original post about specimen set mintages..they are very hard to figure out..sadly there was little recording done if any..but for the 37 matte sets, there were 1000 produced and I don't believe coins were issued in single piece format..the same goes for the 1937 mirror sets although there were from my understanding, only 75 sets produced.

@ridge sounds like some really great stuff...if you do sell off things i'd love to know when. 1953 specimens have always been a serious interest of mine
feel free to call me Will. I'm a 18 year old collector from Mississauga, Ontario.

my PMs are always open, whether you have a question or simply wish to talk.
Valued Member
Learn More...
Canada
241 Posts
 Posted 06/06/2018  12:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KHatt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
if you post clear photos that can be enlarged on eBay we wont miss any varieties lol

I agree. I've been trying to cherry pick a few varieties from photos and apparently other people do this too, because everytime I find one I get wildly outbid (I normally set my bid limit around 50% catalog value).
Valued Member
United States
247 Posts
 Posted 06/09/2018  9:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JHax to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Regarding the pre-1954 specimen sets, the only sets for which there are official mintage figures are 1908, 1911, 1912 (the gold), 1937 (the matte sets sold in the red cardboard boxes through the Bank of Canada) and 1953. The 1911 set is interesting, because the original mintage was the same as the 1908, but the sales were sluggish and something like 3/4 of them were mixed in with the regular coin and issued for circulation!

In the other years the sets were made in very small quantities and were unofficially available to Mint visitors and certain other people. No accounts were kept.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4544 Posts
 Posted 06/09/2018  10:22 pm  Show Profile   Check thedollarman's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add thedollarman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
thanks for the info JHax! that's really interesting to hear about the 1911..

also ridge, would you shoot me an email through the forum? i'd love to talk
feel free to call me Will. I'm a 18 year old collector from Mississauga, Ontario.

Valued Member
United States
247 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2018  01:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JHax to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I should also add that those early Ottawa special strikings, even when there were two versions as in 1937, were officially called specimens (and not proofs). The same can be said for the 19th and early 20th century Royal Mint specimens.
United States
17 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2018  3:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ridge to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you everybody for the advice on the large cents., I'm gonna see if I can find that book on eBay and just look for the better varieties, am not gonna live long enough to look through every one of them. I also have a couple thousand old copper Canadian tokens that I would like to research.
...I'm trying to figure out how to post a picture on here., I dont see anywhere to click on to attach a picture ?
United States
17 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2018  3:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ridge to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was telling you guys about my 1970 specimen in black case set a couple weeks ago., I finally had a chance to go to the bank and pull it out to photograph is.., I also had a few other interesting pieces that I will attempt to post on here.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4544 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2018  11:43 pm  Show Profile   Check thedollarman's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add thedollarman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i look forward to seeing

Pillar of the Community
Canada
2182 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2018  08:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Paulsz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I also had a few other interesting pieces that I will attempt to post on here.

It may be better if you start a thread of your own for your coins. It may bring more attention to it and will help you out a little more.

as for posting pictures, here are some instructions: https://www.coincommunity.com/forum...g-images.asp
If you have any of the following Canadian coins for sale, message me:
1. 1937 Mirror or Matte specimen coins, in SP64 or higher for mirror, and SP66 and higher for matte.
2. 1908 or 1911 specimen coins, in any specimen grade.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.82 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05