Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

"Proper" Acetone Use

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
513 Posts
 Posted 10/03/2015  3:39 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Garoyn to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
There are lots of posts about acetone use, and I've read many of them. I strongly recommend folks search the site for "acetone" and read many of the good posts/guidance that have come before this query. But this is a topic that warrants periodic revisit, especially for new or returning (like me) collectors.

I have many common wheat cents (mostly from CRH) that I've been using to try different, uh, methods of conservation with acetone--including gunk (tape residue, unidentified organics, etc.) removal. I've had varying degrees of "success," and several of the resulting specimens get characterized as seed cents I put in the cent jar I'm saving for my eventual grandkids.

If "stuff" can be removed by acetone, will it just dissolve? Or does it need some Q-Tip encouragement? When "applying" acetone, do you "briefly immerse" or "soak" or "dab"? With or without encouragement? What encouragement--toothpick, Q-Tip, rose thorn, dental pick, fingernail? Dab, roll, rub, or scrub? Or do you apply acetone in conjunction with the electric sander (cordless, of course)?

Inquiring minds want to know what *you* think and how *you* do it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
688 Posts
 Posted 10/03/2015  3:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chipjones to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
the way I do it depends on what iam trying to remove. sometimes I just dip a q-tip and wipe the coin. and other times have to let them soak. and for the real bad stuff I use a corded sander (to cheap to buy a cordless) lol.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
44807 Posts
 Posted 10/03/2015  4:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree - just depends on the job. Sometimes just give the coin a quick dunk, sometimes let it sit, sometimes use a Q-tip or wooden toothpick. Usually let it air-dry afterward.
Valued Member
United States
127 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2015  8:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Turbolag to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is it possible to do damage with a toothpick? Ive used acetone on some LWCs I had and really found myself using a lot more "encouragement" than would seem safe but the cents look fine. It just seems easy to take it a little too far when you are in the moment toothpicking away...
Pillar of the Community
United States
1281 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2015  07:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chute72 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The toothpick can be a very useful tool, but make no mistake about it, it can cause damage. Any small amounts of sand can stick to the softer wood and act like a small scribe. It scratches just as easily as sand paper. If the base metal is soft, a dry hard stick can penetrate the patina, again scratching. Then you must be prepared for the fact that when you dislodge a large chunk of crud off a chocolate brown copper, you can expect to see a bright red spot underneath.
Knowing when and how is a lot like kissing. We just prefer to recall the successful attempts.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16274 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2015  11:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Chute is correct, like any conservation project, things can go wrong. It's a chance we take with the process.
Lincoln Cent Lover!
Valued Member
United States
127 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2015  8:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Turbolag to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So ive been treating some coins with acetone and I find many mixed opinions on the net:

Soak time? Some say a day, then dip the coin in 3 more pools of it for a few seconds and your done. Some say soaking damages them (is there a difference between cooper and silver when it comes to acetone?
Some say let the acetone drip of the coin and your done. Some say rinse it with water.

I like the no water method since the coin is almost instantly dry. How do you get the coin to dry completely when you dont have a counter to lean the tip of the coin on, or a safe space to do something like that where they wont be disturbed (my kitchen always has someone doing something in it)
Valued Member
United States
127 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2015  8:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Turbolag to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a link to the info I used last time when using acetone, I ommitted the water rinse.

This time I rinsed with water and its taking forever to dry
Valued Member
United States
127 Posts
Valued Member
United States
127 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2015  6:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Turbolag to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bump

Whats the word on water vs no water and how to dry the coin?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
44807 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2015  6:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Kleenex.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19070 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2015  10:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Best method is to place all your coins in a plastic can full of Acetone. Add some gasoline and a dash of gunpowder. Throw a match in and run.
Now you will not have to worry about those coins any more.
Kidding of course.
Real is only soak for a few minutes. Only one coin at a time. Rinse with more and new Acetone. Place on clean cotton cloth. Do not reuse any Acetone. Discard what was used to clean a coin. DO NOT USE TOOTHPICKS. Why take chances scratching a coin. Yes there will always be stories about how great someone did with a quill, toothpick, etc. However, those may be just stories. Remember not everything you read on the internet is for REAL.
just carl
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16274 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2015  11:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Whats the word on water vs no water and how to dry the coin?

Water is what causes corrosion. You dehydrate a coin after using acetone on it, why rehydrate the surfaces with water? That makes no sense IMO!

Acetone evaporates almost instantly, soak in acetone (if needed), then rinse with fresh acetone. By the time you reach down for a 2x2 or airtite, the acetone will be gone from the coin surfaces.
Lincoln Cent Lover!
Learn More...
United States
82429 Posts
Valued Member
United States
61 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2015  10:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Boliver to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For those who rinse with water you can use a can of compressed air to dry it "the type use for blowing off key boards and such" or if you have an air compressor you can dry the air and use it.
Valued Member
United States
127 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2015  11:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Turbolag to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have heard the canned air can be safe but I wouldnt use an air compressor because there can be lubricating oils in the machine/tube/nozzle that cone out with the air.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 2.23 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05