Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Mint Set Mintages

First page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 27 / Views: 3,013Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
4685 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2015  12:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TheForce to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just scored on eBay... $17.99 for the 2011 mint set. After I put the prezzies in my change jar the set will only have cost $9.99!
Learn More...
United States
87472 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
4685 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2015  12:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TheForce to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just wish the mint would go back to the old-style packaging. Much easier to open the sets or save singles w/o air leaks.
Learn More...
United States
87472 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2015  3:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The old packaging was made to be cut part. It seems like the new OGP was made under the assumption that most people want to keep the sets intact, which I find very difficult to believe.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4685 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2015  3:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TheForce to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
People have always busted open sets for high quality specimens for their albums. I believe Canada reverted back to the old packaging.
Learn More...
United States
87472 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
690 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2015  1:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gymcoachdon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would guess that the new packaging probably saved labor in some way, saving the mint $$ in the packaging area. No need to stuff individual sheets and COA's into an envelope, also coins are better protected for shipping, possibly reducing returns. I, for some reason, doubt that the concerns of collectors played any part in the change.
Learn More...
United States
87472 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2015  2:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I cannot imagine the new OGP costing less than what used before, but I am not sure how they were shipped in the past; that may be something worth consideration.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1510 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2015  2:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bret to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm an industrial engineer. There's virtually no way the old packaging would cost more unless the mint was really doing something wrong. The coins would simply be placed on the plastic in their respective locations, another sheet of plastic would be placed on top, and finally a sealing machine would seal them in.

I agree that the old packaging is easier to remove the coins from, but the new packaging looks better and the coins are generally of higher quality.
Pillar of the Community
United States
690 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2015  11:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gymcoachdon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My thought on saving labor was after the coins were sealed. The 2 sheets of coins, a COA, sometimes other forms or a protective cardboard piece are placed in an envelope. With the current packaging, once the coins are sealed in place, the packaging is complete. Eliminating the stuffing of the envelope. It was just a thought, I coach gymnastics, not an engineer. But I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. :)
Pillar of the Community
United States
1510 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2015  09:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bret to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For the volume they'd be running, they would almost certainly have a machine stuffing the envelopes. Then again, it is the government. They might make some sort of jobs program out of it.
Learn More...
United States
87472 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2015  10:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I still think it is an interesting thought. Interesting thoughts are what power discussion.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 27 / Views: 3,013Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.66 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05