Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Grading Company Do You Prefer?

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

146 Posts
 Posted 12/25/2015  12:53 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Dipper to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Poll Question
I have used all of them before except SEGS. Please indicate if you have tried more than one. Thanks

Poll Choices
 NGC
  PCGS
 ICG
 ANACS
 SEGS

Pillar of the Community
Canada
4647 Posts
 Posted 12/25/2015  1:12 pm  Show Profile   Check thedollarman's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add thedollarman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
is this for US collectors only, because if it is for everyone you are missing a couple companies from canada. ICCS and CCCS.
feel free to call me Will. I'm a 19 year old collector from the GTA area of Ontario.

my PMs are always open, whether you have a question or simply wish to talk.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4911 Posts
 Posted 12/25/2015  5:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Canadian-Banknotes to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This has been polled a couple times in the past.

http://goccf.com/t/115931&whichpage=1

http://goccf.com/t/237687
Pillar of the Community
1153 Posts
 Posted 12/26/2015  07:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CSOTUS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I voted for NGC, but have nothing against PCGS or ANACS.

The reason I voted for NGC was because of their stricter criteria for FT against PCGS' FB.
Valued Member
146 Posts
 Posted 12/26/2015  12:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dipper to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the threads. Now I'm very interested in the reason SGS and ICG are not included.
Pillar of the Community
United States
757 Posts
 Posted 12/26/2015  7:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add davec13 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Thanks for the threads. Now I'm very interested in the reason SGS and ICG are not included.

They are not included because most people don't consider their grading to be trustworthy. ANACS is also losing favor with the majority of dealers and larger auction houses with their lax grading standards. If you are grading coins for future resale PCGS is the best one for ROI. If you are grading for your own collection choose whomever you like.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2895 Posts
 Posted 12/27/2015  9:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add srs77 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Really I don't have a preference. I'd rather buy raw personally.
ANA Member 3171274
Vamming? What's that?
Valued Member
United States
245 Posts
 Posted 01/01/2016  4:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fyimo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like NGC because I like their slab better and I realize that has nothing to do with their grading standards.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7385 Posts
 Posted 01/02/2016  08:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cascade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I recently had a go with about a half dozen submissions to NGC and they couldn't pull me away. I'm now firmly back to PCGS and prefer them. Not to say I won't still use NGC just that now having experienced both I believe PCGS IS the better overall TPG with one caveat. Error coins. PCGS charges a ridiculous fee compared to NGC for errors so they will most likely go to NGC for me unless it's an error of extreem value then PCGS's high fee works for me.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
15996 Posts
 Posted 01/02/2016  08:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No option for me there.
I prefer to grade for myself.

Something you have to learn to do when you collect ancients, hammered, milled and modern machine made coins.
Valued Member
United States
394 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2016  5:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add LocalCoinGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've never sent a coin in but find PCGS Standards somewhat better .... Having said that I often see huge differences between two coins, same grade, same company and different grading companies as well .....

Problem with graded coins is the grade does not determine the most important factor which is Eye-Appeal and that being personal, it a hard thing to grade .....

Additionally I think too much is put into a graded coin in work / effort / time / expense for coins under X dollars .... Yes when we are talking over few hundred bucks but come on a MS-64 1982 Cent Small Date, really ... It was auctioned off for $7!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1005 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2016  2:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jgenn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I only submit world coins and have mostly used NGC but have also submitted to PCGS. My main issue with NGC is that they are pretty strict at handing out problem-free grades. I have successfully cracked out four NGC details coins that subsequently got full grades from PCGS. And the TrueView photos are way better than what you get from NGC (only comparing photos you get without paying extra).

Edited by jgenn
01/08/2016 2:36 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
7385 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2016  09:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cascade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
^^^ Agreed
Valued Member
United States
192 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2019  10:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Believe7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
PCGS, because I sent a coin to one of the other companies listed and I believe that my coin was switched, yes, thats right switched.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4287 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2019  09:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I use ONLY PCGS and NGC.
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4691 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2019  11:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For "quick and dirty" authentication I use ANACS. For everything else I use PCGS or NGC.

Quote:
PCGS, because I sent a coin to one of the other companies listed and I believe that my coin was switched, yes, thats right switched.

I've heard of incidents of unauthorized "conservation" altering a coin's appearance and have heard of coins getting "lost", but have never heard of an outright switcharoo. Nothing would surprise me though.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.76 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05