Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Heraclius And Heraclius Constantine

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 1,227Next Topic  
Learn More...
United States
23607 Posts
 Posted 12/30/2015  7:07 pm Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Adding another coin to my Byzantine collection. This one is a Follis of the Emperor Heraclius and his son Heraclius Constantine.
Heraclius had a long rule from 610-641 AD and was considered one of the better Byzantine emperors. His rule was pestered by a long war with the Sasanian empire that was started by the tyrant emperor Phocas in 602. This war lasting from 602 until 628 under the rule of their king Khurso II 590-628 saw the loss of much of the Byzantine lands to the Sasanians. In 614 the Sasanians captured Jerusalem and took away most of the scared objects including the True Cross of Jesus to their capital of Ctesiphon. From 614-628 these scared objects were in the hands of a non Christian empire. Finially Heraclius was able to make some headway and defeated the Sasanians Khurso II had died and his son Kavad sued for peace. Returning much of Byzantine land and the Sacred objects.

Byzantine empire
Heraclius and Heraclius Constantine (from 613)
AE Follis
Obverse: Emperor and son side by side.
Legend: dd NN hERACLIUS ET heRA CONst A
Reverse: Large M
ANNO III (614-615)
Constantinople Mint
Officane delta
32mm x 11.2gr x 1h
Reference: Sear 805
Overstruck on and earlier Coin which is normal for this type. You can see whats left on a mint mark on the obverse

Pillar of the Community
United States
6011 Posts
 Posted 12/30/2015  7:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great write-up, Ron. Another coin with lots of history. How many Byzantines would you say you have at this point?
Learn More...
United States
23607 Posts
 Posted 12/30/2015  7:39 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
From the time of Anastasius on I have just under 100. I am partial to the trachy type and at one time had 200 of those alone. Needed some cash so I sold most of them to my regret now.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6011 Posts
 Posted 12/30/2015  8:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sounds like quite a collection. Just out of curiosity, how do you store your trachy's? Do they typically fit in flips, or does the cupped shape force you store them loose?
Learn More...
United States
23607 Posts
 Posted 12/30/2015  8:25 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not the easiest coin to store. I used 2 x 2's, and flips but they don't seem to last long so I change from time to time.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
19097 Posts
 Posted 12/30/2015  8:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fair question on the storage of scyphate coins.
I don't have a perfect answer, either.
Still need the 2x2 to describe the coin contained therein, so that is what I do. At least the storage system remains consistent.
Pillar of the Community
Netherlands
1204 Posts
 Posted 01/01/2016  4:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dutchgulden to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
nice to see you are buying again Ron!
Pillar of the Community
United States
4764 Posts
 Posted 01/02/2016  2:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chrsmat71 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i have a special box for coins that don't fit nicely into 2x2 flips, very large coins and scyphates. instead of a flip I store them in pvc free postcard sleeves.

cool new coin ski!

i picked up this related coin as a christmas present!

Byzantine AE Follis,Heraclius, 610-641 AD
O: Heraclius Constantine, Hercalius, and Martina. R: Large M, monogram to left. Constantinople mint. SB 808
Pillar of the Community
United States
6011 Posts
 Posted 01/02/2016  2:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice pick-up, Chris...that was quite a top ten list over at Cointalk...what a year you had.
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 1,227Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.28 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05