Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Unknown Coin

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 2,585Next Topic  
Valued Member

Greece
259 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2016  03:13 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add yiorgos131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Hello every one
I have just come across this coin/token I think. It was found in greece.Haw any one come across one of these ?

Learn More...
Australia
13445 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2016  09:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is a fantasy coin. The design is very, very loosely based on ancient coins of the Seleucid Empire, but the "herd of pigs" or "herd of elephants" on the reverse was never used on a genuine ancient coin. There are several different varieties and they have been making them since at least the early 20th century, possible even earlier.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Valued Member
Greece
259 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2016  1:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add yiorgos131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank yo Sap for your info.

Ok this what I found out
Tau;here ia a legend about a gold pig and 12 little pigs that live underground and guard a treasure of gold that haw been lost for many years
so local blacksmiths made these coins about around 1895-1905 , after spreading roomers about a ancient coin which on one side was king beta;alpha;sigma;iota;lambda;iota;#940;
Sigma;epsilon;lambda;beta;#973;rho;omicron;upsilon; and on the other a pig with its 12 babies they tried to sell it as an ancient and very rare coin and connect it with the already popular story of the gold pig. Even as of today it poped up in a coin forum whear one was trying to sell it as a very ancient coin for 50.000 euros .

T am still looking for more info

Valued Member
Greece
259 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2016  2:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add yiorgos131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
http://steki-syllekton.gr/index.php?topic=14554.0

THIS is a translation of the first post

A friend brought me today a coin and insisted that it is very uncommon because the top has d seven piglets insisted that it costs more than 50,000 Euro because there are only two known in Greece.
When I hear such stories I wait to see the face that one makes when I tell the tale and reveal what it is and they think they have a fortuent in their hands.

These coins were struck by gypsies the period 1895-1905 . They were were channeling the rumor that there is an ancient coin of King Selvyrou on one side that in an appearance depictsand the uther side shows pigs and piglets.and try to sell these coins to gullible buyers
Usually they made from cast oreichalko.they were made in diggrent shapes and sizes and have no value of course.

Edited by yiorgos131313
01/10/2016 2:39 pm
Valued Member
Greece
259 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2016  2:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add yiorgos131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
another photo of one

Learn More...
Australia
13445 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2016  8:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
We've seen them several times on the forum before and I've seen a couple on coin dealer scratchtrays here in Australia, so they're certainly not rare.

Here's one which has the "pig-herder" on the right.

Here's another which is more like yours.

This thread discussed a couple of them that were sold on eBay. There's no pics and the eBay links are long extinct though the links to the FORVM database, where a few of the different types are posted, are still good.

As for the "King Selvyrou" story, I'm assuming the fake coins came first, and the story explaining them came afterwards. That's because, as I said in the other threads, the obverse legend is actually a blundered Seleucid legend: instead of "BASILEWS SELEYKOY"; it now reads something like "BASILEW SELBYKOY". I think it is on the earliest versions of this coin that the "pigs" look more like "elephants", as elephants would fit in more with a Seleucid theme.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 2,585Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.45 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05