Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Is ICG Becoming The Next Big Grading House?

Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member

United States
236 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2016  4:45 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add TMCD75 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I've been seeing more coins in the ICG slab and they've been advertising in coin mags too. Are they the next big thing? Do you like them?
Pillar of the Community
United States
4317 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2016  4:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I doubt it.
They've been around for quite a while and have yet to threaten to take business away from PCGS and NGC.
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3570 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2016  4:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ExoGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's a 16-D dime I bought in an ICG holder. It has a full date and a full mintmark. There is wear into the reverse letters. There's no damage and no discoloration. My pics are a bit blurry, due to the plastic ... Any thoughts on the grade ascribed? I'll post that later to discuss ...

Pillar of the Community
United States
7142 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2016  5:01 pm  Show Profile   Check edweather's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add edweather to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AG03
Pillar of the Community
United States
4039 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2016  5:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bpoc1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar of the Community
1153 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2016  5:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CSOTUS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The few coin shows I've visited I do see numerous ICG slabs. Not as numerous as the big 2 but I would say the number of ICG slabs equals the number of ANACS slabs I see.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
42931 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2016  5:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AG-03. Let's see!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1102 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2016  5:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add LibertyEagle20 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
G4 - details
Pillar of the Community
United States
757 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2016  5:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add davec13 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Added mint mark?

I have 3 or 4 in my black cabinet that look exactly the same and have been body bagged by both PCGS and NGC. I may be wrong, but the mintmark usually doesn't come that close to the lower leaf and is more slanted on all the verified ones I have ever seen. If ICG will cal it real I should send my known fakes in for grading.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
17900 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2016  6:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm in the AG-03 camp too. ICG grades wrong both directions. I've scored a couple ICG that grabbed a grade higher with PCGS.

Like any TPG you need to know how to grade yourself before playing such games.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3570 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2016  6:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ExoGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Personally, I'm in the AG-3 camp, myself. In actuality, ICG gave it a Fair-2 grade. Having owned at least ten certified AG-3's over the years, this one is as "good" as any of those, if not slightly better. The coin looks much better in hand, a medium gray in color.

My purpose in posting this coin was not to hijack the thread but to enhance the discussion of ICG. This is the first one of their slabs I've owned. I do suspect that NGC or PCGS would have graded this coin as an AG. I doubt it would grade higher. The D mintmark is fully defined, unlike many AG's I've seen. IMHO, ICG was too conservative on this dime. Might it be that the company is trying to become more of a market-maker by grading at a more strict level?

Davec13 ... The D looks good to me. It's not all that close to the leaf as the darkened spot makes it appear. The inside triangle is apparent. I, too, have a black cabinet, and I did look closely at the D before purchasing it from a reputable dealer. When it comes to buying these, caution rules!

Moxking ... I bought this dime because I thought it to be undergraded. The dealer priced it way below AG, according to the holder, not the coin. He had three slabbed AG's, and, to my eye, this FR-2 lokked just as "good" as those.
Edited by ExoGuy
02/10/2016 7:11 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
757 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2016  7:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add davec13 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you aren't into the coin too much, would you be willing to get it in a PCGS slab? I would be willing to send a few bucks your way to fund the great grading experiment.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1102 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2016  7:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add LibertyEagle20 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just curious, how is that coin not a details grade? It looks really scratched up on the reverse. I have much nicer looking coins that I know would come back details. Thanks!
Pillar of the Community
United States
7585 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2016  8:05 pm  Show Profile   Check 52Raymo's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 52Raymo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Would be interesting to see if Exos 16-d would grade legit.
Oregon coin geek.....*** GO BEAVS ! ! ! ***
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3325 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2016  8:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BStrauss3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
ICG has been around a long time, but their reputation is marginal (one joke is ICG stands for I Can't Grade). Truth is that they have some very competent graders on staff who are involved in special coins. And some others.

(Of course that's much like NGC and PCGS who have graders for real coins and graders who grade the endless progression of ASEs from Monster boxes)...
-----Burton
45 year / Life ANA member (joined 12/1/1973)
Life member: Numismatics International, CONECA
Member: TNA, FtWCC, NETCC
Owned by four cats and a wife of 35 years (joined 1983)
Pillar of the Community
United States
3570 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2016  9:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ExoGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I may get the 16-D reslabbed. I bought it to flip it in a set. I've owned many of them over the years, and this one looks genuine. I did have a problem taking the pic, and the lighting is overly reflective. Some of the marks may be on the case. As I wrote, the coin looks better in hand, uncleaned, gray, with no major detractions beyond wear which is consistent around the mintmark. I honestly don't see this as a details coin. If I do keep it and crack it out, I'll endeavor to get some better pics.

Getting back to the subject of the thread, ICG, I do find it interesting that ICG's grade on my coin is a point or two lower than our CCF members guessed. I'd like to see some other, circulated coins in ICG slabs to see how our grading overall matches the ICG designation. I'd heard that "I Can't Grade" joke before. Thus, I was surprised to find the coin I did in one of their slabs, being a point below my own grade and not a point above. It sounds like Moxking has made a few good buys on undergraded ICG coins.

BTW, I found this quote on a Heritage website:

Quote:
ICG was formed in 1998 by some of the leading people in the hobby. Like SEGS, they use a separate company that processes the coins and places them into flips before entering the ICG office. This has helped stop the ideas of favoritism that many collectors feel happens within the grading services.
Edited by ExoGuy
02/10/2016 9:07 pm
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.84 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05